Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on what to spray inside the door panels and interior of the car before it goes to paint? I have Eastwood rust preventer frame coating that will go inside the frame. Should I use it inside the doors and other areas or is there something more specific for restoration of the inside of my 1968 XR7?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Are you looking for factory type finnish or do you want something to help reduce road noise perhaps? My car had some kind of rubberized rust preventive coating - it came off one day when I closed the door - I thought the glass broke! LOL - it was all piled up in the botom of the door. I think I would use the Eastwood stuff, or maybe look at soemthing like Rinoliner if you want a good heavy noise reducer. I'm pretty sure many cars only had primer as a finnish too......not sure if the build sheet would show you what yours was though? good question...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
For the door shells, I sprayed 3m Body Shutz in the corners and along the bottom and then lined the shell with aluminum backed butyl sound deadener.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, mine may have been after-market rust inhibitor before it was stripped. May just go with primer and no other coating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i used a rubber body undercoat inside the doors on both my cars, my 67 is from cal so no rust there or clogged drain holes the 70 vert doors had some rust which i used rust inhibitor on then over sprayed with undercoat. i didn't think vert needed soundproofing since the top would be down mostly. the 67 is quiet anyways, beside the wife makes noise sometimes.

primer does rust and there is water drainage from windows etc so i'd go with something waterproofish.

·
Registered
227 Posts
the 67 is quiet anyways, beside the wife makes noise sometimes.
. :) LOL

Along those lines; what is the recommended application when undercoating, sealing etc. do you seam seal first then apply coating (rubberized undercoat, por-15, rhino liner, etc)? Do you paint first then seam seal? Or prime as the case may be?

I have done a lot of patching and what not and am not sure which order to do the next steps.

Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Prime, seal, then coat. Just don't use lacquer primers,..water goes right through that stuff, then......rust! If you use an undercoating product,...I strongly suggest that you do, all that is needed is the lower 4-6 inches in the doors, 1/4 windows and trunk dropoff areas. It can be used elsewhere, but these are critical areas. Keep air, moisture and contaminates away from the metal and rust will not occur.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If the metal is clean I use 3M Rubberized undercoating works great and adheres very well .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts