Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking under my 70 XR7 and noticed there were no inner fenders(in the front). At least I guess that's what you call them. When I look up from underneth I can see the bottom side of the fender. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Or is there some sort of inner fender to keep debris off the back side of the actual fender? I feel really stupid because I had never noticed it until yesterday. Can't remember if my 69 had them either.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are no inner fenders or liner.
Just a plastic rock shield at the rear of the fender, mounted to the ends of the firewall.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There are (smaller) shields at the front too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
There are 4 Total per Car. Inside the Front and the Rear of the Fenders. The Large Rear Guards are 69-70, the Small Front Guards are 1969 or 1970 specific. They get covered in Road Tar after years of driving and looking inside the fenders, sometimes they are hard to distinguish and make out from the rest underneath.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...They get covered in Road Tar after years of driving and looking inside the fenders, sometimes they are hard to distinguish and make out from the rest underneath.
Actually, what they are covered with is undercoating.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
At one time, I bought complete plastic inner fenders (front wheelhouses) for a '70s Granada and used them in AlphaCat. The curve of the wheel opening was pretty close, and I held them to the fender lip with the trim screws through speednut-type clips on the plastic inner fender, and also trimmed the inner edge to the shock tower profile and left 'tabs' to attach them there.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I will be listing a pair of the rear shields tonight from a 69 Cougar that Never had Undercoating on them. I just wiped off the dirt. the undercoating has a black plastic feel to the inside where it meets the shield, and when it chips off you can see and feel that. Some cars either never got undercoating or the splash shields didn't get sprayed. We have had quite a few that were never coated. I was going to say under coating in my above post, but felt more P/C saying that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts