Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the inner cowl and not put it back in? Im thinking about removing mine and welding the fresh air opening closed. I want to make more room under the dash and dont need the fresh air as I am going vintage air. Is it possible to remove the inner cowl and leave it out?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
On what year Cougar? Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dear god it makes me have post traumatic style flashbacks. There is a lot of of spotwelds to cut. Maybe others have had better luck. I bet I spent 60 hours doing mine with the patch pieces.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 67 and yes I know about the spot welds. Ive heard its a big job but im finally able to park it and take it down the way I want and I want to get more room under the dash and want to eliminate the inner cowl as much as possible. The slots on the top cowl are getting welded shut and smoothed and the rusted out inner cowl that leaks when I wash my car are getting taken out one way or another. I was just hoping someone else had done it so I had a somewhat plan of attack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have removed mine on a 67 to make room for roll cage. It was a pain. I had nothing in my way dash, windsheild, fierwall, floors, frame, all were removed prior. It was still a pain. If you were to weld up the top slots and seal the drains on the sides, you would have noware for water or air to get into the cowl. Would you really need to weld up the bottom after that? Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The wiper transmission is mounted through the lower cowl. You could probably put a couple brakes in some sheet metal and install something similar to a shallow tray under the upper cowl. If you angled the bends right you could remount the wiper transmission. You would lose some support to the upper cowl as they meet at separate places under the window. CIMG0287.jpg CIMG0278.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess im not saying I want to totally remove the inner cowl but raise it up a little so I had more of a "roof" under the dash. I want to hide the a/c unit so you cant see it and eliminate the two air intakes as well as the one on the top cowl. I may also do as you did with yours. Is that undercoating or like bed liner? Im also planning on doing the front suspension as you are and removing the shock towers. Im fairly new into body work and welding so I have a big task ahead of me...

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is herculiner. It is a big task. I'm am also new to body work. My project is my first resto. I do carpet for a living and find a lot of it crosses to metal fabbing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks awesome for being new into it! I cant wait to start taking everything apart and getting busy. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit more. Ive also been thinking about changing the dash panel assembly over to a mustang one. Not sure if it will fit but I have been thinking about doing that so I can go with the dakota digital gauges and vintage air digital controls. Im not sure if I will or not its pretty expensive. Im for sure doing the tci front and rear suspension to support my 460's power and width between the inner fenders. Its hard to change the plugs in it now even with the shock towers notched.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If you're thinking about changing the dash panel over to a Mustang (nothing wrong with that), you may have to change the whole metal dash panel. There is a difference between the front & top of the metal dash panel on a Cougar & Mustang for '67. The area in the middle of the dash on the Cougar where the toggle switches are is the same height as the right side. On the Mustang it's not the same height in the middle because on the top part of the whole metal dash panel, there is a dip in it for the dash pad, making the area smaller in the front middle part of the dash. Here's a link (hope it works) to NPD Mustang catalog: http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=tan09flx&from=2 Go to page 13 (click where it says next to flip the pages) and you can see a picture of the metal dash panel (click on the part and it will enlarge it) to see the difference on the front. Good luck. :) John

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was planning on going with the dakota digital dash assembly for the mustang dash. Im not interested in keeping the toggle switches or the cougar dash at all. I was just worried about the whole metal dash panel fitting into the cougar body. I dont see why it wouldnt work...even with a little work...but i should be able to manage it. I started the tear down a little today. Stopped after I pulled the vinyl top and found the bondo filled holes in the roof. It was a little frustrating but im gonna fix this cat up right. I guess I should start taking some pics as I go and start a thread....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Texasxr7, definitely post pics of your teardown and build. And I agree, I don't see why it wouldn't work putting the whole Mustang metal dash panel in there. Again, good luck with the build. John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts