Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS,JUST GOT MY COUGAR TO RUN FINALLY THANKS TO ALL YOUR HELP:D I ADJUSTED THE ROCKERS LIKE YOU GUYS SAID.TURN THE CAR ON LET THE CAR WARM UP CHECK FOR ANY LEAKS AND LOOKS GOOD.I HAVE NOT TEST DROVE YET CANT WAIT.NOW I HAVE TURNED THE CAR ON AND OFF A COUPLE TIMES ALLREADY AND THERE WAS A SOUND COMING FROM UNDER THE VAVLE COVERS TOOK THEM OFF AND SAW A ROCKER LOOSE??:confused: GOT MY RACHET AND TIGHT IT UP PUT THE COVER BACK ON TURNED IT ON AND OFF COUPLE MORE TIMES AND THE NOISE IS BACK!:mad: I HAVE NOT LOOK UNDER THE VALVE COVER YET?I WILL LET YOU GUYS NOW WHAT HAPPENS.MY QUESTIONS TO YOU GUYS IS???IS THIS NORMAL:confused: I KNOW YOU HAVE TO RETIGHTEN ALL THE HEAD BOLTS INTAKE MANFOLD AND SO ON AFTER BREAK IN PERIOD.THANKS PICTURE WILL FOLLOW SOON MY HOME COMPUTER IS NOT WORKING FREAKIN VIRUS:mad: SO I USING WORK COMPUTER SO CANT LOAD PICTURES here

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more info

hey guys the nut come loose after a while from the rocker why does it do this?can i put another nut on top of that one to prevent it from coming loose again should i use lock tight the nut??:1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm, im kinda lost here too.. not sure if there is supposed to be a lock on the end of the nut, but i really dont think so. are you sure its tight enough?? otherwise im stumped. i need to know this too as ill have to change a set of lifters this weekend on a Stang

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with the stud too... could be either screwed into the head, or pressed into the head. If it's pressed into the head, and not drilled and pinned, it could pull up out of the head while the car is running, which would loosen the nut. I had this happen on my 383 stroker motor in my suburban... the previous owner had drilled and pinned like every 3rd stud... dork...

Anyway, yeah, check the stud...

Robert

·
Registered
300 Posts
that wouldn't work either. hm, say you have a bole coming out of the head, and you put two nuts on it, with loctite... or weld them for that matter... the engine runs, and that bolt pulls out of the head. The nuts themselves are not moving on the bolt, but as the bolt pulls out, there is that much space now between the rocker and the nuts. Make sense?

Robert

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more info

i dont think the bolt is coming out the nut comes loose with the movement. thats why if i try to put loctite and another nut on top to prevent it from coming loose.i had trouble with that same nut when i was installing it.the nut would not go on easy i had to tap the bolt to get the nut on.maybe thats why??

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
rocker studs are cheap insurance buy new hardware it will give you peice of mind and you dont have to worry about the top end coming apart on you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts