Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a turn signal switch from Don at Westcoast Classic Cougar and installed it this morning. The only reason I went messing with it is because my brake lights don't work at all so I was told this would be the solution. (already replaced the pedal switch)

I'm pretty good at electrical and I pay close attention to detail. I drew a diagram of the old wiring harness and wire color locations, pulled the wires through the steering column, removed the wires one by one and replaced with the appropriate color coded wire. I plugged it back up and........

Now the indicators don't work at all and when I try to indicate left, the horn comes on, still no brake lights...geesh.

Any suggestions? NOt saying I couldn't have made a mistake but please let me know. I have the haynes manual too that was no help, the wires a coded differently according to that diagram.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If i remember correctly, there is a slight difference in wiring colors between the oem harness and the wiring on the new switches, there was a great wiring diagram on TCCN that explained it, not sure if that diagram is still up on the TCCN II site, and that Haynes manual works best in the trash can, you are way better off getting an oem shop manual

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here's what I gleaned from the 67 Shop Manual. Looking at the pin side of the TS switch connector:

Blue-Yellow Strip--------------Blue
Green-White Stripe-----------Green
White-Blue Stripe-------------Yellow
Orange-Blue Stripe-----------White-Red Stripe
?????---------------------------Green-Orange Stripe

I scanned the two pages from the manual that you need. PM your email address to me if you want me to send these to you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I thought the same thing about the haynes manual when I first got it. been using it as a dinner tray ever since. I think that my next hurdle is to get the wires back out of the junction block (needle nose pliers I guess) and figuring out why my horn is taking place of my indicator. by the way, Desertdave55, is the left side of the list coming from the indicator switch?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Both the left and right side of the list is the connector coming from the TS switch. It'll make more sense when you look at the scans I emailed you. I put ???? on the bottom left, since the manual identifies it as 511B, but I don't see a color-code associated with it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think that my next hurdle is to get the wires back out of the junction block (needle nose pliers I guess)
Instead of the needle nose, maybe see if you can find a ball-point pen (with the ink cartridge removed) that might be the right size to slide over the pins to depress the locking tab?

Just checked my 67 XR7 which I replaced the TS switch back in the early 90's (with a repro), and the 511B wire that I marked as ???? (lower left) is Red. I wonder if that's the wire that Jan Ove was referring to as being a different color on the reproductions vs OEM?

·
11,000 Posts
I replaced the switch in my '68 two days ago using a repro from WCCC. There are two wires on the repro switch that are unused. I cut them off at the switch assembly.

All the other colors matched. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Royce Peterson by the looks of it, I think that someone was messing with the switch before in the past, so I might have been following a faulty pattern to begin with. Thanks to Desert Dave, I can use a REAL wiring diagram to decipher this problem. Your right about those two wires though, I see that they dont lead to anything in the junction block

@ DesertDave55 A ball point pen, brilliant! thanks again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, so I finally got everything hooked up properly as far as wiring goes, it seems like the previous owner didnt have the wiring correct. SO it was useless for me to follow that original pattern. Thx again DesertDave55.

The brake lights still don't work though, and the indicators light up, but the don't blink (flasher maybe). I changed the brake light switch, the indicator switch. What else could cause the brake lights to not work? any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Have you checked the inline fuse for the brake lights ? even if the fuse looks fine, it might be a bad connection in the fuseholder, as i discovered on my cat some years ago, changed out the fuseholder and that fixed my problem with no brakelights.

The inline fuse is found tucked up under the dash at the right side of the steering coloumn

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, I'll check that out too its in such a weird place. Which fuse is the stop lamp fuse?, I think I need to change my emergency relay too.... but I'll only do that after I switch over to an electronic sequencer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts