Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you go about refinishing the inside of the in dash ashtray? 1968. Looks like original owner might have used it. Would like to re-create new appearing finish.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Buy a repro (assuming they are made, they are for '69). Failing that, have the original replated, the solution that I endorse for many of the detail items on our cars which result in a factory new appearance because after replating a good core, they basically are.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, NPD's (Mustang catalog) sells a complete repro. Part #04826-2A $129.95, page 19. John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will check it out. Harv

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it, is a mustang and Cougar ash tray identical? Getting ready to paint dash and now would be the time if I am going to buy one.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Remove the ashtray from the car. Cut or drill the rivets out that connect the ash tray to the fascia, separate the outside door from the inside ash tray. Bead/sand blast the sections. Clean then repaint the ash tray with spray gray or an aluminum/silver paint similar to the original color and repaint the outside door the color of your dash if required. Rivet the two pieces back together and re-install.

I think the Mustang unit is a different size than the Cougar, shorter I think.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Find an old fat, nasty used cigar that has lots of CHEW marks, clear coat it, and lay it gently in the tray for LOTS OF COMMENTS.

Save yourself a lot of time, TIME IS MONEY...........LOL

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with C7XR7, the only thing I would add to his comment is to replace the lighter assembly when done with the refinish. I did mine so I would have good contact for my cell and IPOD adapters. The cigar idea is funny Dale. It reminded me of my neighbor when I was growing up, he always had a big cigar chewing on it.:smoke:
Steven

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Being a '60's era car I think something more along the lines of a Blunt would be appropriate as an ashtray prop.
Find an old fat, nasty used cigar that has lots of CHEW marks, clear coat it, and lay it gently in the tray for LOTS OF COMMENTS.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, Car didn't smell like smoke and ashtray was not dirty just kinda not new. It was used a one point I believe. Well try the bead blasting and refinishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts