Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Paint stripe

Two 3/32 paint stripes with a 3/16 gap between measured from edge to edge is correct. Picture from an original paint 68 XR7.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
EDITED:

Bob,

I'd definitely not go with two different thicknesses of stripes! I basically went with two 5/32" -stripes spaced (EDIT) by a bit less..like 3/32. Frankly these measurements are in fact different than the book says, and original pinstripes usually do look to have a bigger space in between them than the thickness of the stripes themselves..I couldn't bring myself to duplicate that look, I can't lie! And no one is telling me that they look funny or incorrect. The old factory pinstripes are VERY often shrunk from years of polishing and rubbing, remember, so most are shrunk and thinner than original..thus, the gap is bigger.

Here is a photo of mine..sorry it isn't as close as I'd like..but I see two lines bigger than the space, and they look pretty dang correct when they are similar to each other if you ask me.

CCOA says "For ‘69 and ‘70, these sizes are the same, except in some instances, the top or bottom Stripe may be larger in size. ", so I am okay there (and think it looks better). But, IMO, the gap is just too wide. Tom at KTL suggested the F-16 layout, that is what he uses, it is a 3/32" gap as I mentioned. I like to be correct even though I'm not concours, but asthetics can overule, that's where I'm at on this (but like to knwo what's correct too).

EDIT: I went back and looked at the CCOA rules, I am not sure where the 3/16" came from which Chris initially quotes (and then later quotes 5/16"), but I read 5/16" and only 5/16" gap.

Frankly, there is no way I would put that gap on stripes on my car, and (to me) the black car with original red stripes (from Ray Harwood I believe) looks like poop. 3/16, yeah okay, 5/16",? No way.

1/4" overall (3/32" stripe, 3/32" gap, 1/16" stripe) seems "right" to me, but that's just me. So like, Brian, I am going to take liberties. Something tells me no one is questioning the layout I just described on Tom's resto's, they're just too nice to question!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
This is a confusing issue still! :bloated:
I'll bet you are a lot more concerned about it then they ever were at the factory. Perhaps someone with a salvage yard of Cougars could do a series of measurements over a wide range of samples and give you a median value to use. Who could say it would be wrong?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll bet you are a lot more concerned about it then they ever were at the factory. Perhaps someone with a salvage yard of Cougars could do a series of measurements over a wide range of samples and give you a median value to use. Who could say it would be wrong?

Lin and I did just that over at WCCC a few years ago..I think I determined that I just couldn't bear to mimic what was on those cars..and even though I gave dimensions to my pinstriper, he went ahead and did what he was going to do anyway! I'm not unhappy. But I can say with a lot of assurance that my look is not exactly correct. The originals are all in fact thinner and the space between them is certainly larger than what I had done.

There is something to the eraser effect of multiple years of washing, though. The outer edges of almost all original pinstripes is certainly worn by now..

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
EDIT: I went back and looked at the CCOA rules, I am not sure where the 3/16" came from which Chris initially quotes (and then later quotes 5/16"), but I read 5/16" and only 5/16" gap.

Frankly, there is no way I would put that gap on stripes on my car, and (to me) the black car with original red stripes (from Ray Harwood I believe) looks like poop. 3/16, yeah okay, 5/16",? No way.

I think the 5/16 gap measurment came from measuring from the center of the top paint stripe to the center of the bottom paint stripe. Which would be .2813" 9/32 which is real close to 5/16 .3125".

The CCOA judging sheets say:"
Pin stripes—original type and material, placed in proper location. (Tape, deduct 2)

Brian Austin, I don't think a judge would deduct from your GT-E unless you are in the concours class, and then most likely only one point.. not worth worrying about especially if you like the way it looks.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Another good thread with valuable information (that I just had need to search out). I made it a sticky.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought one of my cougars new when I got back from Viet Nam in jan 1967, I still have it , it is the light blue with the cream vinyl roof. tha pin stripes were terminated differently from left side to right side, one side they ended even with each other and the other side the lower stripe was longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man, GT-E's are so awesome, to a certain point anyway, in my opinion. Finally got to see one in person. I will go back and see /take photos/measurements of his pin striping to show an actual factory 68 GT-E. Have a 67 parts car with original as well. Also, couldn't the factory workers do it a little different every time, depending on the employee that did it, how his day was going, time of day(fatigue) etc? Like the old adage says "never buy a car built on a Friday haha) Royce posted earlier about a previous owner doing striping "exactly" like factory, how can one be sure of what someone says, or if the modern installers did it "exactly" like the original? No one can be sure except the aliens watching us that we call god.

This car has been sitting in a quanset pretty much since the day he bought it, less than 100 miles. Looks like it is brand new. I have never seen so many all original cars that old in such good shape. He has 50+ classic cars he bought new and were put in his quansets pretty much since he bought them. Hemi Cuda, 67 Camaro, 56 chevy, Shelby Mustang, 65, 66, 67 fastback Mustangs and on and on and on. I was in heaven in those buildings. Old man loves me, says I can have his GT-E when he dies, Hope he was serious haha.

Too bad they put that ridiculous line through the headlights though. Makes it look unfinished or like a piece is missing. Not a fan of it at all. Looked cool to me in all the pictures I had seen, but seeing it in person was a different story. No chrome on the tail lights looks as though someone sprayed a set of tail lights black to make them look "cool". Not sure why on such a classy car that was perfect already, they would do such silly things. Sure, the engine is great, but I prefer the looks of a non xr-7 67, non gt-e 68 Cougar any day. Even the bloody marker lights on a 68 Cougar make the car look a little bit, how do I say it...less than it was in 67.

I'm sure I read a post the other day of a 7.0 litre put into a non gt-e car. I may be wrong, have read dozens of posts. But if that was a car that was available it would have certainly been my choice, besides those marker lights haha.

I would love to own an actual 68 GT-E, for the real reason everyone else that owns one (to say that I have a GT-E you don't haha) and that engine mmmmmm. Though I truly think GT-E's look like Cougars that some young kid tried to "fancy up" by changing head and tail light parts and giving it a funny paint job.

Prefer the looks my 67 GT or 67 XR-& GT (once it's restored haha) any day over my "soon to be" GT-E (man I hope he was serious), Maybe it won't win the race unless I put in a 428, But it still looks better. Again, just my opinion. Everyone has their own preferences.

Will get pin stripe pics as soon as I can. It is a few hours away.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts