Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't even know that ALL 67-69 Cats were pinstriped the same..

The research is giving me a headache..now, one red flag I noticed in the archives-all '67-68 seem to have the same spec under CCOA rules, but I was just talking to Jim Pinkerton and he mentioned that '67s and '68s are NOT the same. (ie the stripes don't have gaps between panels and extension joints in '67s, but do in '68s)

Anybody else got some light to shed on the subject?

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pinstripes

Hey There,

Not sure if it's of any help to you, but my car still has it's original paint and pinstriping. If you want me to head out to the car and take some measurements or pictures, I'd be happy to.

Other folks on the list seem to have things pretty well spec'd out though.

Phil

·
Registered
468 Posts
Confusing variations

I almost posted on this same subject a little while ago. I found three different descriptions on pinstripe specs when researching.

For 67-68 I have seen: stripes approx. 3/32" wide, 3/16" space between them AND listed as with 5/16" space between (the original stripes I have seen are actually just shy of 3/32" and the 3/16" space is correct - 5/16 is way too big)

For 69-70, sizes are the same except the top or bottom can be slightly larger (IMO, the thicker stripe looks a bit odd) with a supposed 1/2" gap at all body panels due to factory tape in the striping process. Again though, from the originals that I have seen, a more accurate measurement is probably to end the stripes about 1/16" away from the gaps in all panels. See original pics attached in this thread...

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25225

(I only question this because for the factory to paint stripes on in a uniform way, they would have had to gap every 1/4 extension as much as the doors before applying this tape. Anyone have more info on the subject?)

I have also read that the distance from the body line to the top of the stripes should be 1/2" but I believe it has been confirmed here recently that the space is actually 5/16".

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
The picture you linked looks correct. My original 69 pinstripes are the same. There are equal gaps between panels and the stripes are the same thickness.
All painted on..

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Lin helped me out..

We went out to the yard at WCCC and found this:

'68 original paint car had stipes at 3/32 thick, total space 5/16" top of one stripe to bottom of the lower. 3/8-1/2" separation between at all body panels and seams. So I guess distance between is actually about 5/32". Actually, Lin repeated that measurement many many times. We're pretty sure! Maybe it's a typo somewhere where 5/16" was measured..that's pretty big. Bottom line, though, is the space between the stripes is bigger than the thickness of the stripes, by about 1/16th of an inch

On a '67 car..drumroll..

No distance between on seams/panels(all continuous), but the stripe thickness and spacing was the same as '68. And the stripes all ended "about" 1/2" from the last crease in the extension pieces, tapered as Royce and Jim told me, with tape, obviously, to be bevelled parallel to the extention edge, with no connection between..just kind of a dead end. We could even see exactly how the paint all gooped up where it would have "hit the tape" on all the stripes, and they were thicker in places than others, and wobbly in places..obviously hand done.

Interesting stuff. Thanks Lin!!

Gosh I love going out to their boneyard..

:jump3:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Pinstripes as defined in the CCOA judging guidelines book:

"For 67 and 68, the stripes are the same width, approximately 3/32 inch wide, with a 3/16 inch space between them. For 69 and 70, these sizes are the same, except in some instances, the top or bottom stripe may be larger in size. The stripes for 67 through 70 end abruptly, approximately a 1/2 inch from the front and rear edges of the car. These stripes do NOT join together at the ends.

So you can make both stripes the same width, or one larger than the other. It becomes your choice.

A word about the stripes ending abruptly. Every time you come to a body joint, the stripe ends. Example, where the fender meets the door, the stripes end before they reach the end of each body panel. This is also true of the joints between the fender and fender extension and the quarter panel and the extension. The stripes do not run down into the joint.

Stripes: Must be of the original type, color, and material, and placed in proper locations. This is to include Body Pin Stripes, Eliminator Stripes, etc. Aftermarket Pin Striping is a deduction. The Paint Stripes on the ‘67 through ‘70 Cougar consist of two Stripes, which follow the top edge of the Body line. For these four years, there is approximately a ½ inch gap in the Stripes at the Door edges, and the Fender and Quarter Extension seams. Ford put a piece of tape at the seams before applying the Stripes, thus the gap in the Stripes. For ‘67 and ‘68, the Stripes are the same width, approximately 3/32" wide, with a 5/16's" space between them. For ‘69 and ‘70, these sizes are the same, except in some instances, the top or bottom Stripe may be larger in size. The Stripes for ‘67 through ‘70 end abruptly, approximately a ½ inch from the front and rear edges of the car. These Stripes do NOT join together at the ends.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C Gauch said:

"For 67 and 68, the stripes are the same width, approximately 3/32 inch wide, with a 3/16 inch space between them. For 69 and 70, these sizes are the same, except in some instances, the top or bottom stripe may be larger in size. The stripes for 67 through 70 end abruptly, approximately a 1/2 inch from the front and rear edges of the car. These stripes do NOT join together at the ends.

So you can make both stripes the same width, or one larger than the other. It becomes your choice.

A word about the stripes ending abruptly. Every time you come to a body joint, the stripe ends. Example, where the fender meets the door, the stripes end before they reach the end of each body panel. This is also true of the joints between the fender and fender extension and the quarter panel and the extension. The stripes do not run down into the joint.

Stripes: Must be of the original type, color, and material, and placed in proper locations. This is to include Body Pin Stripes, Eliminator Stripes, etc. Aftermarket Pin Striping is a deduction. The Paint Stripes on the ‘67 through ‘70 Cougar consist of two Stripes, which follow the top edge of the Body line. For these four years, there is approximately a ½ inch gap in the Stripes at the Door edges, and the Fender and Quarter Extension seams. Ford put a piece of tape at the seams before applying the Stripes, thus the gap in the Stripes. For ‘67 and ‘68, the Stripes are the same width, approximately 3/32" wide, with a 5/16's" space between them. For ‘69 and ‘70, these sizes are the same, except in some instances, the top or bottom Stripe may be larger in size. The Stripes for ‘67 through ‘70 end abruptly, approximately a ½ inch from the front and rear edges of the car. These Stripes do NOT join together at the ends.
Hence my question and statements re the Red Flags..'67s lines don't end at the seams..they go right on in and appear to be a solid line. This is on an original paint '67. And Jim P. made the same comment yesterday.

Hmmm...

I know..I get intriqued by the damndest things ;)

·
10,974 Posts
Be sure you were looking at Dearborn made '68 Cougars. No GT-E's were made in San Jose.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Royce Peterson said:
Be sure you were looking at Dearborn made '68 Cougars. No GT-E's were made in San Jose.
So San Jose and Dearborn did them differently how?

Not sure what we were lookin' at. Great point.

·
Registered
468 Posts
C Gauch said:

This is the confusing document of which I speak - Why is it that there are two different sizes listed for the space between the stripes? (3/16" vs. 5/16")

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe by "a 5/16" space between them" in the lower paragragh, they mean "total space taken up between them"..the total stripe (2 together) width..

Because that's what we got, repeatedly. On the '67 and the '68 we measured, anyway... I think the 3/32 is too wide by a 64th, and the 3/16 should be more like 5/32", taking the total combined stripe width to just about 5/16th again..

I'm getting a little woozy..math isn't my thing ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
mmmeat...

After drafting up several versions, your measurements sound accurate - everything should be slightly thinner than stated.

Thanks for taking the time to figure the measurements with Lin - I have been wanting clarification on the subject for some time. :beer:

We need more sticky threads - Pinstripes, Vinyl tops, stock suspension measurements... ? I'm sure we could dedicate an entire section.

·
10,974 Posts
Here are detailed pics of the pinstripes on my green GT-E 8F93W537844. I took pics of the car before I restored it with the decrepid original paint and pinstripes and took measurements. The fellow who pinstriped the car in 1999 duplicated those exactly when these were applied, except we used silver instead of white.

At the GT-E reunion in Michigan back in 2004 John Baumann had his GT-E there still wearing its original paint, which is Augusta green just like my car. His car is 8F93W537968 which was built on the same day as my car. I parked my car next to his and the pin stripes on his car, still original, are exactly the same as those on my car except that his are still the correct white color while mine are silver to match the lower body color.

·
10,974 Posts
Not sure if they are or are not, but a sample of virtually anything else done by hand in San Jose is done differently. There is no reason to look at San Jose built Cougars when tryiing to replicate something done on a Dearborn built Cougar.

mmmeat said:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perfect. Do the above numbers add up like these stripes, Royce?

They look like what I saw yesterday, except "cleaner" and straighter and more consistant ;)

The in-between gap still has me a little curious, but again, the pics of yours and what I saw look really really similar. It's just hard to think the gap is only 3/16', maybe even less, until it is actually measured.

The stripes are so thin, it's a bit deceiving and one would swear there is about 1/2" in there..

Thanks again,

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
mmmeat said:

Ha ha We always do stuff different in San Jose:biggrn2:!
ya know 22 inch rims on Cougars, spinners, flashy paint jobs. Oh wait that would be East Side!:eek7:
Royce Love the Green GTE!! Drool! (I miss the curb shrubs!)
:beer:
Juli

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts

Is that CCOA wording correct? First they say 3/16" between and then later they say 5/16". Which is correct? (IMO) both are UGLY. 3/32" stripe, 3/32" space, 1/16" stripe is what I am going to go with (and someone recommended to me).

Bob

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Is that CCOA wording correct? First they say 3/16" between and then later they say 5/16". Which is correct? (IMO) both are UGLY. 3/32" stripe, 3/32" space, 1/16" stripe is what I am going to go with (and someone recommended to me).

Bob

EDITED:

Bob,

I'd definitely not go with two different thicknesses of stripes! I basically went with two 5/32" -stripes spaced (EDIT) by a bit less..like 3/32. Frankly these measurements are in fact different than the book says, and original pinstripes usually do look to have a bigger space in between them than the thickness of the stripes themselves..I couldn't bring myself to duplicate that look, I can't lie! And no one is telling me that they look funny or incorrect. The old factory pinstripes are VERY often shrunk from years of polishing and rubbing, remember, so most are shrunk and thinner than original..thus, the gap is bigger.

Here is a photo of mine..sorry it isn't as close as I'd like..but I see two lines bigger than the space, and they look pretty dang correct when they are similar to each other if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Example of an old pinstripe pair..

here is Phil's Polar white car in it's original form but rubbed a lot over the years.. a lot of gap results!

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww182/dzippy1/?action=view&current=Hood-Align.jpg&newest=1

And another angle where it is more original/correct:

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww182/dzippy1/?action=view&current=Hood-Align.jpg&newest=1#!oZZ4QQcurrentZZhttp://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww182/dzippy1/?action=view&current=DSCF2103.jpg&newest=1

This is a confusing issue still! :bloated:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts