Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to be a part of your Cougar forum! I haven't driven my cougar in so long (1985) I think I forgot what it was like! I bought my 1969 Eliminator (R code, 428 CJ) in 1985 for 1300 bucks. Yes, it ran great! looked good too! But I was young (19) and took the car apart bored the 428 .030 over, balanced it and topped it off with a tri-power set up off a 406. Put some headers on it, bigger cam, you know....typical teenage junk. It's been sitting in my garage ever since collecting dust. I havent even heard it run. But one day I'll raise my four kids and then return to my project. I'll have to break out the digital cam and post some pictures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome!

Hi Roy, I just joined myself... I should be getting my first Cougar soon. Where are you in WA? I'm in Bellevue.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I always wonder how some of these cars just "disappear"! I'm glad you had the foresight to tucked away and not sell it. I hope you saved some of the original parts. If you still have the smog stuff and want to get rid of it e-mail me.

We'd all like to see some pics! Even with the engine mods, they sound kinda cool. Can you run the 3 duces with ram air?

Tim Brandsoy
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Ray, welcome to the site. I also live in the Evergeern state near Everett. Drop me a line I'd like to look at your toy. I have a 69 standard with a 390 4V that I plan to put a tri power set up I have. I know of a few other hidden Cougars around that could be neet to see back on the road. Neal.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Welcome Roy, sounds like a wild cat

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome Roy, sounds like a worthwhile project. So, just how much more "raising" do you have left?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets see where do I start......i live on eastern part of washington in Pasco. And anybody can come and check out my car if you're ever in the area. I picked up the 3X2 setup when I was stationed in NC for 350 bucks. I didn't have (and still dont) the original ram air stuff, intake, or carb. When I bought it the car had a Holley Street Dominator intake and a Holley aftermarket carb. I found the 3X2 by chance and thought it would look cool. I have never ran the engine or carb set up and I think it would be a bear to run right and try to break in a motor simultaneously. Besides I would eventually like to go back to a single 4bbl.

I was lucky; the car is 95% there. Missing some smog stuff (sorry), export bars, AC stuff, ect. Somebody before me, put a lot of work into this car, repainted it burgundy red. The interior is in great condition (except clock on passenger side refuses to play).

Catch me on the right day and if you had a flatbed truck handy it would probably be yours :) I'll get some pictures for you to look at. Dont be too disapointed......it is not the car it used to be.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome Roy!

Just found your post,

This community is a wonderful place, you'll love it.

Keep the hope alive. You'll get your chance to put that baby on the road. SCJ Eliminator...SWEET! Cant wait to see the pics of your coug. It cant be worse than mine ... thats for sure.

Talk Later. Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I broke out the digital camera and took a picture of the car in my super cramped garage. I once had asperations that I could actually restore this car in this garage. I think doing that would be the equivelent of replacing wings on a Boeing 747 in a broom closet. P.S how do I post a picture?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Roy,
I worked on the 747 line here in Everett. I come down to Richland for a show in June. Also the Mustang club in your area has some nice Cougars in it. I think it's the "Pacific Northwest Mustang club" Great people, I look forward to meeting you next spring. Neal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. i think I figured out how to post a picture. Check out the 1969 cougars in the photo gallery its under 1969 cougar 428 CJ Ram Air. the image is still pending approval. Hopefully i didnt send a picture of my house, dog, kids, or something else instead!

·
Registered
337 Posts
roys69cat said:
Okay I broke out the digital camera and took a picture of the car in my super cramped garage. I once had asperations that I could actually restore this car in this garage. I think doing that would be the equivelent of replacing wings on a Boeing 747 in a broom closet. P.S how do I post a picture?
Whoa! You weren't kidding about the space!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, it is bigger than the garage I'm working in, so from experience: It is doable but requires some gymnastics.

Good luck on the project, should be a neat car when done!

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Not much chance of us being able to work in our garage either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, but that's because you have to worry about scratching the paint. For me it just means less sanding in the future.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
welcome aboard glad to see you here and nothing motivates more than having your pears give you intrest.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Too true Matthijs, you know us so well.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
72 Cat. Wow you aint' kidding! It seems like you have to crawl over things just to get to the front! I think I should have picked a smaller car to restore; like an MG Midgit or a Mini Cooper. Wouldn't be as much fun though! My thought was roll the car outside when I'm working on it and roll it back in at the end of the day........well maybe.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
badcatt said:
Roy,
I worked on the 747 line here in Everett. I come down to Richland for a show in June. Also the Mustang club in your area has some nice Cougars in it. I think it's the "Pacific Northwest Mustang club" Great people, I look forward to meeting you next spring. Neal.
Must be some "nice" Mustangers up there! I went to go to the Mustang show in South Bend In this summer and called ahead and was told my Cougar wasnt welcome there! I guess they didnt want to be out classed. mm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts