Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1968 cougar, with a 302 winser. MOST of it is original except the paint and chrome rims. I want to paint it later on in life because of the messy job that someone did when they had probably a accual brush and no brains as to how to paint. It has runs in the paint in some spots and chips up the wazzoo!
I got this car (1997) when i was in 8th grade from a god parent of mine that used to be a baby sitter. But anyways, these cars are so nice and draw so much attention, it's a good thing that this here column is here for people to share their info. Now for questions, because i know very little about motors, could i put an electronic fuel injection on the motor so that it just starts right up and STAYS running? And when you know the gas gauge works but you're always empty even after you just filled up w/ gas, would that be the sensor in the tank? And where do i get one if it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome DK, this is a great place to share "Cougar". :) Great looking car!! Sorry, can't help with your other questions but someone will be along shortly I'm sure.

Sandra

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Painting

Everyone knows that to paint a car you'll need a brush and a roller The roller is used for the large areas and the brush is to clean up spills and reach around corners.The gas guage is probly the float but can be the wire or ground or rusty tank or???There are lots of places to get poor quality repro parts but I suggest spending the $$ and buying from FORD.Same as mustang for the same year unless XR7 then outta luck have to use the regular sending unit for non XR7.To check guage and wire short the wire from tank to ground and the needle should pin itself.Key on acc of course Good luck with it;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
EFI and Gas Guage

OK to answer a your questions:

1) You could put an after market EFI kit on your car. Holley and a few other companies make a kit, but they are expensive and not really worth the trouble. You could also update and go to a newer motor and injection system, however, again a lot of money. I would recomend finding someone who KNOWS what they are doing and make sure you carb is adjusted right. It could need new jets or just a little tweaking based on your elevation and such. It could need a tune up or the timing adjusted. Or finally maybe it's something simple such as your choke. Dont know if you have a manual or a vacume style choke.

2) The fuel guage problem could be as formentioned and just a problem with the float. ground, etc. But if you need to replace the sending unit you can get a repro for about 30 bucks from Mustangs Unlimited's Cougar Division. An OEM unit will run you around ninety. But check the simple things first:)

Hope this helps, but if you need more help gimme a yell, I just finished replacing just about everything on my 68's fuel system.
Hop304

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
fuel sending unit

Catz Last year I was involved in a restoration of a 67 GTA Mustang convertable that sold for $40,000 Canadian.One of the parts we replaced or tried to was the sending unit in the tank.Bought from a reputable outfit the unit was poorly reproduced and would not fit the wire and ground correctly.It was the cheaper nonFord one.Later we spent the $$ and got a Ford one and waa laa it works no problem.My point being that no matter how cheap a part is if it does'nt do the job it's a waste of the $$.My advise is to spend the money on a proven quality part from Ford whenever reasonably possible after all they made the car and should have a part that works correctly.The exception to this is the vacuum check valve for the headlites.I paid for and installed many D8OZ and all went defective immediately.I had to go across the street and purchase one from the competition.I've yet to see a repro piece that is better than an original.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My gas guage stopped working a while back too, turns out the ground just came loose. Be sure to check that before doing something difficult like replacing the float.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts