Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I give up. I am trying to pull the differential on my 1973. It's the typical 9". Pulled the axles. I removed the driveshaft. Took off all the nuts around the housing. Took a block of wood and a hammer to loosen it so I could let the oil drain. No go. I have tried everything short of using a sacrificial screwdriver because I don't want to gouge the sealing surface. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I don't want to pay a shop to do this but I am about THIS close......Pat Price

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bigger hammer and the same block of wood would be my approach. Sledge hammer if need be.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Try using a 1" putty knife. Tap it in all around wherever you can get access.
Keep two nuts on the end of two of the studs to prevent a sudden release of the pumpkin.

The jack under the front yoke is a good trick too -- especially once you've cracked the seal using the knife.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I once struggled with a 9 inch trac loc in a Bronco found in a part yard. Sucker was double nutted on the top, to hold a brake line.

I have used the jack trick with success too.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
comealong from the trans mount to the pinion yoke. Pops it right off, provided you have all the nuts off.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
WIfe's '70 Mach was a pistol to break loose. I had the floor jack on the nose of the pinion. Nada.... Was gone into the garage to get something else to try when I heard a loud bang when the gasket finally let go...

Oh, BTW, did you remove all of the washers from under the center section nuts first? They are soft copper and tend to 'flow' into the hole and seal the threads. You generally have to chisel them off...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WIfe's '70 Mach was a pistol to break loose. I had the floor jack on the nose of the pinion. Nada.... Was gone into the garage to get something else to try when I heard a loud bang when the gasket finally let go...

Oh, BTW, did you remove all of the washers from under the center section nuts first? They are soft copper and tend to 'flow' into the hole and seal the threads. You generally have to chisel them off...
Now there is a thought. I'll report back after I check this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts