Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a Pro-Comp plug and play distributor for 5 or 6 years, until last week anyway. While attempting to bleed the new power steering setup, my brother in law showed up and decided to help. He is a mechanic so I thought it wouldn't hurt. I was wrong. He pulled the coil wire and had me turn over the motor to bleed the power steering??? When he put the coil wire back on he pushed the coil into the intake and shorted the distributor. I purchased a new Wheeler Pro-Forged at Turkey Run this weekend and I can't get spark. The old coil, which I am still using, was putting out great spark even after the shorting, but now I get a very weak spark. Not enough to start the car. I was told the coil would work with the new dist. I have double checking the timing and I have 12v to the coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bill

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Maybe the short got the coil too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. The wires are tight and the old coil was sparking very well even after things went south. I guess I will try a new coil anyway, I was just hoping to avoid spending another 40 bucks if it might be a simple over sight on my part.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Maybe the ignition module got fried when your expert shorted the coil wire.

PS its best to bleed the steering system with the engine running......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The module did get fried, thats why I purchased a new distributor. As for bleeding the car with the motor running, thats why I put multiple ??? in the first post. I knew better but didn't question him because he makes his living working on cars. Clearly I should have!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Might be as simple as a broken coil wire swap it quick...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out the NEW MSD distributor was bad out of the box! Had to drive 100 miles round trip to get it exchanged because the store would be closed tomorrow when I would be driving by on my way into FL. I guess when it rains, it pours. Thanks for the suggestions all the same.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Geez - you would think that MSD has better QC than that! I have been using their stuff for years without any troubles. Glad you were able to get it sorted out though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts