Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I finally got my engine relatively back in one piece. I'm just forgetting which vacuum lines connect where on the back of the intake manifold. The one for the brake booster is pretty obvious, but I'm a bit stumped on the other 3.

Shame on me for not writing it down. :) Someone knows how it goes, right?

1969 std, 351w

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You'll need to post more info about your car. AC or not, things like that. One goes to the headlight vacuum res. One goes to AC can on PS fender (if you have OEM AC). One goes to AT modulator (assuming you have an automatic trans).

The Chassis Assembly Manual available from Osborn has this info, shop manuals probably do too.

Reactions: HodgePodge

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. :smoke:

I just wanted to cover all of the bases. Now all I have to do is wait for my battery to charge. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jnfajhfakjnfd I'm soo close.

It feels like I'm left with just a timing issue. There's fuel, air, and spark. When I would try to start it up with the proper firing order, it would just keep turning. If I keep moving every wire on the cap over one, it'll backfire (but not actually start) until I get it back where it's supposed to be.

I did my best to get it it top dead center. I tried to fire it up after that. Now it acts like it wants to start, but never really doesn't.

I was told that if my compression was dangerously low, it wouldn't backfire at all.

What would you guys do at this point? I'm almost tempted to take it to a mechanic and see if they can make it start. Even for just a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
jnfajhfakjnfd I'm soo close.

It feels like I'm left with just a timing issue. There's fuel, air, and spark. When I would try to start it up with the proper firing order, it would just keep turning. If I keep moving every wire on the cap over one, it'll backfire (but not actually start) until I get it back where it's supposed to be.

I did my best to get it it top dead center. I tried to fire it up after that. Now it acts like it wants to start, but never really doesn't.

I was told that if my compression was dangerously low, it wouldn't backfire at all.

What would you guys do at this point? I'm almost tempted to take it to a mechanic and see if they can make it start. Even for just a couple of seconds.
#1 start over, pull #1 spark plug and rotate engine until you feel the air starting to escape, then bump the starter to bring to 6 deg. before top dead center,check to see that the rotary button is pointing to #1 on the cap. check your wires to make sure the firing order is correct to the spark plugs.If the rotor button is not pointing to #1 on the cap , then remove dist. and turn the rotor till it does. This should get you close enough to start, and then you can set the timing to where it runs best. Other than this, I will just have to come and help you my self. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#1 start over, pull #1 spark plug and rotate engine until you feel the air starting to escape, then bump the starter to bring to 6 deg. before top dead center,check to see that the rotary button is pointing to #1 on the cap. check your wires to make sure the firing order is correct to the spark plugs.If the rotor button is not pointing to #1 on the cap , then remove dist. and turn the rotor till it does. This should get you close enough to start, and then you can set the timing to where it runs best. Other than this, I will just have to come and help you my self. LOL
:lol2: That sucker is pointing opposite of where #1 is. Goodness. So, simply remove the distributor, twist the rotor to where it needs to be, and drop it back in?

Sounds pretty easy. Results in the afternoon. :smoke:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
:lol2: That sucker is pointing opposite of where #1 is. Goodness. So, simply remove the distributor, twist the rotor to where it needs to be, and drop it back in?

Sounds pretty easy. Results in the afternoon. :smoke:
Yeah, no start and then a pop through the carb is generally a good indicator that you're 180* out.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yeah, no start and then a pop through the carb is generally a good indicator that you're 180* out.
I agree had the same problem last week..Then at 4am in the morning I thought its gotta be 180 out so in my pjays I went out lifted the dis and moved it 180 it fired rite up open headers are all. My neighbors love me lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the rotor pointing in the right direction, 6* btc. All it does it backfire, doesn't start.

It put itself 180* out again. Yargh.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I got the rotor pointing in the right direction, 6* btc. All it does it backfire, doesn't start.

It put itself 180* out again. Yargh.
Just a reminder, @ 6 btc must be on the compression stroke, 6btc can also come up on the exhaust stroke, which would be 180 out. Do all checking on the compression stroke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts