Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand with what you are trying to say with the young ignorance thing. Although, you have to realize not all 18 year olds have the same mentality that you, or somebody you know have or had. As for the import ravers who slap 5'' exhaust tips on 1.5'' exhaust pipes, and throw 3' spoilers on a front wheel 100mph governed cars, what you are saying makes all the sense in the world, but as I get older I may see more, but ill forget half of it on the way there. The project I am currently involved in is all my own, and I feel that a full roller 351W, with ported heads, oversized vavles, 9:5:1 streetable compression bored .030 over, with Holley feeding the air/fuel through high rise aluminum, timing kept under control via chain, backed by a rebulit FMX 2500 stall modified vavle body, 3:50 full posi nine inch, should do the trick, and well, built by none other than a punk 18 year old kid.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
he meant no malace

Too bad more 18 year old arnt more like you.. But that leaves more muscle cars for us.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Atta boy Minimum Wage 69, you are definitely the exception rather than the rule these days my friend; it's not that I have a bad attitude about youths, I'm actually a youth worker at my church. I just have too much experience with them to not have realistic expectations about their mentality.

Just the fact that you are using YOUR hard-earned money to work on your car makes you a rarity!

I'm probably digging myself in deeper here so I'll quit now while I'm behind.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Hummm, I have a 15 year old kid, should I be worried. I havent seen him in 12 years, but we have been in contact for the last 2. He's coming here next summer for the whole summer, cant wait. He'll be 16, what am I in for.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You...

Thank you for noticing the fact that I spend my money, and not my parents, thats something I'm particularly proud of. It gives me a better sense of acomplishment about it, and knowing that I can truly call it "my own". I was looking at my W2, and it says I have netted about $3,500 last year. I have put roughly 3 into my drivetrain (And I'm still not done). All this with a full time girlfriend, gas and insurance expenses. Do I have my priorities straight? HeHe, I'm hoping to get the motor in this summer, All I need is The roller lifters to top it off, and some piston rings, Build it, and Im good to go. Ill keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im 20...

hmm good to see not all youths are into fart pipes and rice. maybe ill have to check out your Cougar one day. maybe at the Cougar Club Nationals in Cypress. i hope to start on a project as well soon. its been in the making for months and months now but i have had many delays. and changes of plan. NOW the plan is for a 68 Cougar with a 351C with 4bbl closed chamber heads ( 219 173 valves ) flat top pistons to yield an iffy for pump gas 10.5 compression ( my buddy has a Fairlane with that ratio.. he can help me with tuning ). i am leaning towards a single plane intake, altough i have a dual on the shelf that i may use for the time being. the cam MAY be a 544 lift cam ( dont have all the specs offhand ) but i might go milder cuz its gonna be an auto. as far as the tranny i might beef up the C4 or take the FMX out of that 70 if i can get it as a parts car. i also plan to take the 9 inch out of the 70 and fit it with some 3.50 gears and maybe an equa-lok or a full locker. umm, its all in theory now and to be built with my own cash which will come from having to paint cars as side projects for now. first step is to get the car and a useable short block for the Cleveland. minor details eh?? another thing ive learned about building cars... it will take at least twice as long and cost twice as much. and you will cuss twice as much too, so guard your neighbors ears. lol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
oh yeah, its probably gonna be an Eliminator style 68 too... :D but i cna get paint cheap anyway so i dont figure that much in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Also 18

I'm also 18, and I have to agree most kids now days don't have a clue about working on their cars, let alone giving advice on how do something on someone elses car. There is a ratio of about 5 to 1 of ricers vs. American Muscle at my school(thank god I graduate saturday!) The only real muscle cars at school are my Cougar and the 2 camaros owned by my fried and his brother. The rest are either V6 Camaros and V6 Mustangs or Hondas. Every one of those rice boys is an idiot. There is this one Acura a non Vtec 4 banger with a fart muffler, wing, and nitrous. This kid ran a 16.5 at high school drags with the funny gas. He comes to school a few days later with a dial in of 11.5 written on his windshield. Not only does he drive a slow crappy car, but he is a lying idiot!
I will admit that I don't pay for everything that goes into my car...but most of it, my dad is trying to relive his childhood through my '67. I'm am going to start assembling my Cleveland this week, the machine work was professionally done, but I wanted to assemble it so I would be able to say "I assembled a 400 horse Cleveland, what did you do today?"

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Re: Also 18

clevelandcougar said:
days later with a dial in of 11.5 written on his windshield. Not only does he drive a slow crappy car, but he is a lying idiot!
i belive that he ran an 11.5 .............. in the 1/8th mile .. he he

·
Registered
30 Posts
Young People

Wow, I cant belive that there are this many people my age here. Im only 20. I guess its just because I dont know cars too well and just figure the people who do are older. Here in modesto was have a good collection of muscle cars for some reason. Although we do have quite a few ricers. Theres a guy that works at a restraunt I goto who keeps tellin me his bug is going to burn my coog, thats going to happen anytime soon. Just thought I would share! Jason

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
AAHH!! im 20 and a buddy of mine keeps telling me that his bug will burn my Cougar..... strange eh?? and i have a cousin in Modesto too..........

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 23...

I'm 23 and I have traction bars...wonder if that makes me a loser too? =) O'course, I've got a '68 Cougar so I can't be that bad eh?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
no his name is Inti ....... well hell have to push it really fast to beat me... no engine in it yet :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Gotta love it when someone talks trash when all they have Fred Flintstone power.

Just today one of the kids with a V6 camaro rearended my friends brothers camaro... he he he. I guess it messed up the V6 camaro pretty good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
im 17

im a 17 year old girl and i drive a 68 cougar xr7 :p anyways, i wish i knew how to work on my car. my dad does all of my work anyways because he knows all about them. i want to fix mine up and make it look bad ass and stuff but ive been told i should keep it original...oh well, all it needs is a paint job and a system lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Car work

Hey dont feel bad about not being able to work on your car. I usually dont do most of the work on mine, Im just way too busy and its my daily driver so it needs to run the next morning. Usually ifI work on something it doesnt run for a while. So I keep to the basics. Hey if you want to keep your car looking original and put a system in it, what Ive done is put my deck in the glovebox so everything looks original in the car. BTW I have a green 68 xr7 also. Well just my thoughts this morning. Jason

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
working on it yourself is fun... but like many of you my car is a daily driver as well. so i need it to run everyday. i do what i can to the car, but on occasion i need someone else do to work for me. mainly because of time issues. the same thing happened when i did the body and paint on my car. i didnt get to tear it apart like i really wanted because it had to be driven still. next car i get ( hopefully a 67/8 still... ) will be torn down a little further than my car was when it was shot. by the way.... why not try the body and paint work yourselves? its fun, and if you are good enough at it you can do lil cheapy jobs for people for quick cash. seeing as many of you are still about to or in your first year of college, why not take a class like on a Saturday at the Junior College for auto body? it will get you started at least. then you might become some sort of paint freak like me lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im only 16, but i'm alittle bit more mature than some of these freakin' wannabes driving their "cavaqueers", and their eclipses. I also have one more thing over them..........I have MORE HORSEPOWER, now I know some of you are thinking, geez he's only16 and he doesn't know what he's talking about. Well that may be a little bit of the time, but I know I know more than usual for a"kid" my age.

p.s. I drive a 68 cougar xr-7 with the origianal vinil top(see if that freaks some of you out!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Paint Class

Steve I almost took a class like that last semester. But instead I took a computer graphics class. (I should of took the paint class) Well anyways now I need to paint my car and yeah I could of used that class. Oh well, it needs some body work also so Ill get done in one step. Jason

1 - 20 of 44 Posts