Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced the intake manifold gasket and stupidly i forgot to mark the distributor.....how can i go about making sure that the timing is set just right....do i set the engine to TDC, and drop the distributor in with the rotor lined up with the #1 plug wire or what.....i am just trying to get her to start and afterwards i can complete setting the timing.....any help is appreciated....thanks in advance :)

P.S. the engine is a 351 Cleveland 4v

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
You got it. Your not so stupid. Juust pull the #1 plug.

·
Registered
913 Posts
To elaborate on what old wood said, TDC will come up twice, you want to pull the #1 plug and crank the engine until you feel compression come out and then bump the starter up to TDC, and then set the dist. If you crank the engine again and bring up TDC you will be 180 deg. off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thank you....i have tried that and the car still wont start.....do you know what it could be????

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Be sure that your plugs are on in the correct firing order - what towcat tells you should get it started - if not make sure that you at least have spark - either use one of those fancy spark testers - or just put a plug on one the the wires - ground the plug, have someone crank it and see if the spark jumps the gap. (don't ground the electrode - jut the base) You may have to tweak the dizzy slightly either way, but it should start

·
Registered
708 Posts
See my previous post on fabbing a timing tool from an old distributor cap.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...3&postcount=20

If you've got an electronic ignition, substitute rotating the distributor until the reluctor paddle lines up with the pickup sensor for "rotating the distributor until the points open". This should tell you if you're off a tooth.​

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought new plugs, points, condenser and rotor when I put mine back together and found out it was a bad condenser. It had a really weak spark. I put the old one back on and she fired right up. I also read somewhere to align it about 10 degree off for the initial. That way, you had 10 degrees either way to move the dizzy when you set the final timing. i set mine at 8 BTC and thats about where it stayed.

If you are rotating the engine by hand to get to TDC, put a rag over the hole and it will blow it out on the compression stroke. Just make sure it doesnt get sucked in on the down stroke.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You should be able to hear the air rushing out the open spark plug hole.

Be sure to account for the movement of the rotor on the distributor as it engages the cam gear when you install the distributor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the info....i believe I got everything set up now, but when I try to start it now, all it does is make a grinding noise, I just replaced the starter and the flywheel looks great, could it be the wire runnin from the solenoid to the starter, is it possible to have a short?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You mean it doesn't even turn over then?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts