Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
We recently resfreshed our 351W engine because there was a bad head gasket combined with cooling system full of rust..We changed the head gasket, cleaned of the carbon, changed oil and water pump, new timing chain, rebulit the carb and put in new Pertronix distributor with Summit racing ign wires ..We left the cylinders, camshaft and crankshaft in because it wasnt so bad...Before these changes, the car was running with the Pertronix distributor on 6 degrees just fine. Now that we put it together, the engine is running very rough on 6 degrees. We took vacuum gauge, connected it to intake manifold and started to adjust the idle mixture together with the timing. The engine is running best around 22 degrees but we still cant get it to have the desired 18" hg on vacuum gauge. We would hit that number only by adjusting the timing to about 30 degrees. Is it normal? I thought that the scale on the new balancer (DAYCO PB1009ST) was off, but it seems that the scale is right..my only concern is if we are not harming the engine by running it on these high degrees.
Maybe it is a silly question but i do not have enough experience and we are trying to do everything ourselves and teach everything.
Thank you and cheers from Czech republic!
Filip

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sounds like you might be off a tooth on the timing chain. I've seen it happen and the motor runs, but requires retuning, like yours. Recheck your timing setup and verify the dots line up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds like you might be off a tooth on the timing chain. I've seen it happen and the motor runs, but requires retuning, like yours. Recheck your timing setup and verify the dots line up.
I agree. The fact you replaced the timing chain might suggest a slight oversight. Always check you're not 180 degrees out also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When we installed the timing chain we checked it couple times. The dots line up and it is installed the same way, that the old chain was. Nothing moved, we slowly and carefully removed the old chain and installed the new one with care.
If you mean 180 deg out on the distributor...the engine was running with the old chain and the new distributor installed on 6-8 deg just fine..
We will see, our friend who is mechanic his whole life will come today and he will try to adjust everything and check it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Note on some engines Ford had the dots face each other, but on some the dots both were supposed to point to 3 o'clock. Depending on the timing set you bought you might have either dot set up. I once had an FE series motor where the dots were pointed to each other rather than the location at 3 o'clock and I had a very similar situation to what you have now. And my base timing was around more than 20 deg BTDC to get it to run properly.
If you are 100% sure the timing chain is correctly set, then I suggest you have put the distributor back in 1 tooth off from where it was before you overhauled the engine. Partially remove the distributor far enough to allow you to move the rotor about 15 degrees advanced from where it is now and re-seat the distributor and check the timing.
Vacuum may or may not come back to 18 "Hg, that could be a different issue like a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you did not move the crankshaft, then the timing chain dots are cam gear at 6 o'clock and the crank gear at 12o clock. drop the distributor with the rotor button pointing to the number plug wire . sometimes you can be off one tooth car will start but run like crap. also need to check that you installed the intake manifold correctly with proper torque sequence if not you can get a bad vacuum leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts