Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a lot of questions lately so thanks to everyone that has been helping me. I was under the dash of the Cougar today and I noticed that the two main wires that come from the ignition switch had gotten so hot that the insulation had actually melted and bubbled off. How it didn't catch fire I will never know. I found a NOS pigtail for $15 (what a deal!) and now I need to order the ignition switch itself. I have found 4 different brands and they are all about the same price. The brands are Standard, Airtex, Wells, and Borg-Warner. Anyone know which brand is the best? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
They are all likely made by the same manufacturer, but if I had my pick, I would go with BWD (Borg-Warner). They will likely have the best warranty too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had a lot of questions lately so thanks to everyone that has been helping me. I was under the dash of the Cougar today and I noticed that the two main wires that come from the ignition switch had gotten so hot that the insulation had actually melted and bubbled off. How it didn't catch fire I will never know. I found a NOS pigtail for $15 (what a deal!) and now I need to order the ignition switch itself. I have found 4 different brands and they are all about the same price. The brands are Standard, Airtex, Wells, and Borg-Warner. Anyone know which brand is the best? Thanks again.
how are you finding these switches? not having much luck with a google search-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Search "1969 Cougar Ignition Switch" on e-bay and you should get around 70 results. I think I bought the only NOS pigtail but it looks like Kragen Auto Parts has a Motorcraft switch and pigtail for about $56.00.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts