Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keys to my '67 have disappeared. No locksmith anywhere close to come make a new set at my house. Can the key section of the ignition switch be removed so I can take it to someone or do I have to remove the entire switch?

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
Key Cutting Service - From Your Code - Ignition / Door Lock - New

Fits: 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1973 Ford Mustang

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/keycode.html

We now have the ability and equipment from an old Lincoln Mercury dealership to cut keys for Fords "by the numbers". Instead of copying a worn key to make yet another key that doesn't fit properly, we can cut keys as they would have come from the factory. These are not copies, they are new keys! What we need to do this properly, is the number found on your driver side door lock assembly (most of the time!) Sometimes they ended up on the passenger side, but they are supposed to be in the driver side door. This will be an alphanumeric code 6-7 digits long that we can look up and determine how to set the key cutter to cut the proper depths. Sometimes the stamping on the lock cylinder is very faint and hard to read. Fine steel wool can help bring out the definition better but sometimes there is just no way to read the full code. In cases like this the best thing to do is send your key in with the partial code and between the two we should be able to produce a key for you. 69-73 trunk key codes can be found on the trunk lock assembly. The code may or may not be stamped on the glove box lock. When you place your order online please put your key code in the "messages" section when you go through checkout. Phone in orders have your code ready when you call to place the order.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Good news, bad news.

Yes, the key cylinder can be removed. Unfortunately, you need the key and a paper clip to separate from the switch.

I am the guy at WCCC that cuts the keys. I need the 4 numbers stamped into the door lock, don't need the first two letters.

Door and ignition still used the same key last time you had the key?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is it possible to get mercury key blanks ? Or did these cars come with ford keys.

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
I picked up some of these keys about 20 years ago at the Auburndale race track in Florida.
This guy had a 5 gal bucket of the big M ignition and trunk keys. He was selling them for 25 cents each.
I asked him where he got all the keys and he told me he worked for Ford (retired) and Ford / Mercury never put them into production. Don’t know if it’s true or not.
I did measure the Big M keys against the OEM. They are within 3 thousands of an inch (.003) of each other on the thickness (.105) and cuts. (.048)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts