Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out if I need a new ignition switch on my 68 xr7. ACCY and ON work fine, but when I turn it to START, the brake light comes on but no 12v to at the S terminal on the solenoid. I know the solenoid, battery and starter are good because if I jump 12v to the S terminal with the key in the ON position, it starts and runs fine. Does the fact that the brake light proves out in START mean the switch is working?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't help you for sure with your question, sorry. Although it does sound like your ignition switch. I had an old 68 coupe years ago that did the same thing. Water was getting in through the cowl vents and rusted the terminals on the switch and of my dimmer for the interior lights. I took it out and cleaned them and the wires and all worked fine after i put it backk together. I hope your solution is that simple.

I must say, I do love your cat. I have the exact same one that I use as my daily driver. Mine has the saddle interior...Yours? I must say I prefer the standard interior to that of the XR7 though. Just love looking at the black deluxe package, standard interior of my '67 coupe. I guess I just like the north american look over the european look they tried to give the XR7. Don't get me wrong I still Adore my 68XR7. She and all my cats will be with me till the day I die.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It could be that your tach is bad too....it can create on "open" condition in the pink resistance wire necessary to get the juice there, which is why bypassing it with a wire will get it started....might be a good time to get the rocket man kit and fix that tach?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It could be that your tach is bad too....it can create on "open" condition in the pink resistance wire necessary to get the juice there, which is why bypassing it with a wire will get it started....might be a good time to get the rocket man kit and fix that tach?
The tach is in the coil feed wire, not the S terminal for the solenoid.

Jody, I would guess you have looked at this already, but is your former automatic neutral safety wiring "taken care of"?? You need that to be bypassed for a manual or you will have the problem you describe.

Regarding prove-out working, that to me sounds like the switch is working but the prove out *could* be on a different electrical path, you'd have to check the wiring diagram to be sure.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob wins. My neutral safety bypass had come apart. No more crimp type connectors for me. From now on, everything gets soldered.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEAH - soldering always pays off. Thansk Bob - I just realized the coil feed wasn't in question to start with ---- duhh ;>)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts