Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ignition issue....where do I look first?

Just went to a local cruise night and everything was great until
I went to start my car to drive home. Turned the key and all was quiet!
Nothing happening with the engine....no cranking, no click, nothing!
I did notice the needles on my fuel and temp were moving so I assume the battery was ok.
I kept trying to start it a few more times and nothing happened. Waited a minute or two tried it again and it fired right up. After I got home I shut it down and tired it again and it started right up. Weird? It is a new ignition switch that I put in last year. What should I check first? Need to drive to Carlisle on Thursday so I need to figure this out asap!

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you have a tilt wheel and didn't pull it down completely?

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just remembered this morning that I moved the shifter from park down to drive and then back to park
before it started. Could this mean it has to do with the neutral safety switch like Steve says?
Jim

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like it. Play with it an you might be able to replicate problem. Then you will know.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the battery cables and all are tight. Cleaned the inside of the two terminals that go to the relay.
turned the key and she started. let it run for a few minutes. tried it again after 15-20 minutes and it started
just like normal. Could it have anything to do with the ignition switch? I replaced it in 2008.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
sounds like you might not have had it all the way into park. Sometimes it is as simple as that. Other thing I would have thought of right away was starter solenoid. Make sure you have a screwdriver with you and if it happens again jump the solenoid. Other than that might not even have a problem. If it was the safety switch it might have been doing it's job.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Could it be your ignition switch? Could be but be careful not to look for ghosts. That costs you a lot of time and money.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just went to test it again and it would not start! I noticed the light for park on the floor shifter was on even with the key off or out.
This made me think it is my ignition switch. I had a hard time with the paper clip but managed to get the cylinder out.
After I got the bezel off the switch was in pieces!!! the black part stayed connected and the rest came out in three pieces. Now what is the trick
to get this disconnected? I know from reading the directions from TCCC I need to be gentle. I had to stop myself and walk away so that is why I'm writing
this. UGH! I did this 3 yrs ago but do not remember having this much trouble. If I can get them disconnected without breaking it I want to put the old
switch back in. I believe this is the cause of all my starting problems.
Jim

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like it! Why did you replace the old switch? If there was a reason then is it going to be any good to put back in?

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced it for no real reason other than I was thinking it was old and a new one would be better. I guess I was wrong big time!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
A lot of people on here are telling me to be careful about doing just that. Seems most of the reproduction stuff is not quiet the quality of the original stuff. So. I am cleaning up as much as I can and will use as much of the original as I can. I thought buying new would be better, easier, and quicker. It would be quicker but that is about all. If it works it is going back on the car.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok....got it apart and the old switch is in place. Now I just need to get the cylinder back in correctly!
Does it need to be in the same position as when I inserted the paper clip and turned it to the left?

Jim

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All is well .....fingers crossed! I got it all back together and she has started twice with no issues.
Here is a picture of what was left of the napa switch I put in in 2008.
Thanks for your help.
Jim
DSC00142.jpg

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
WOW, that sure didn't last very long did it? Guess it was good thing you kept that old one laying around>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts