Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
question i think its the same but not sure the door locks and the ignition cylinder are all used by the ignition key correct? If so i swapped a column w/ a fellow cougar person and may as well give him the door locks if its true. Because the column i got when the key is out it can spin freely around w/o any key inside so i may as well get a whole new set.I had a tilt in my eliminator but did not like it cause im so use to my vert having no tilt so i like the feel better.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK,
after being stumped and asking a fellow cougar fanatic(badcatt) i was right .Does anyone know if they still make brand new sets for the doors/trunk/steering column? If not anyone got a decent set they wanna sell? If so write back n lets talk..
thanks
pat

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know Mustangs Unlimited carries these lock sets. I'm sure other vendors do also. They show the same lock cylinder kit for 67-73 cougars.

Steve

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Any time I have lock cylinder problems I have my buddies that work in a Ford dealer's parts department rekey my new cylinders to the old key cut.

My new PartsCat came without keys. I simply removed a door lock cylinder and took it up to the guys and had a new key cut to match the old locks. That's certainly cheaper than replacing all three locks, and besides, you need a key in order to remove the ignition lock cylinder from the column anyway. The trunk lock is missing on PartsCat so I just have to get a new one (with keys) available at most parts vendors.

BTW, if any of you have worn keys, don't get the worn key duplicated, get a new key cut on the proper Ford cutter. These new keys will be new keys, not copies of worn-out keys.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Virginia mustang has sets cheap. They work great, but the ignition tumbler looks different than original. 67- 69 for $18.95 2 doors & ign.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts