Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my manuals are still packed from the move so here's a question someone may know from heart. Is there a trick for replacing the ignition cyliner in a 1970 Cougar, tilt column. Your help would be appreciated prior to me fully disassembling the column to find some hidden button that pops it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I dunno about the '70, but on my '67, there's a little hole in the front of the cylinder, and you have to poke it (STOP IT, Gawd...working on cars is SO kewl, there is so much sexual innuendo available!) with a paper clip or some similar beast, and it auto-magically pops out (as I recall, anyway)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that the type of tip I'm looking for but I believe the '67 is in the dash. I remember the holes for paper clips but this one is in the column and doesn't have any I've found yet.

So anyone else know any tips. I've got the wheel pulled and the turn signal switch removed and I still don't see how it comes out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
hutch
there should be a pinhole under the ignition in the column collar. turn the key to the on position n take a ice pick and push it in and pul on the ignition cylinder at the same time, it should pop right out. i had to do the same thing recently to my 70 eliminator n it worked well.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
It's not easy to see with the steering wheel on but you can "theoretically" get to the pin as stated above.

Take the wheel off, get your key, a small nail and turn the key to run, push the pin and twist the key (towards start) and it should pop out.

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hmmmm, I thought it was key to acc'y to push in pin, then pull entire cylinder out straight. Steering wheel needs to be removed first to gain access.

At the bottom of the lock cylinder there is a shaped lug, some are triangular, some square, others trapezoidal. Make sure your new replacement is the correct shape!!!!

If you don't have a key (I didn't for PartsCat), drill out the pin (it is soft) with a 1/8" drill bit then pull cylinder straight out. Now to get new lockset (the door locks were not original anyway, soooo....)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's done. There is a hole under the column that can be accessed w/o removing the wheel. On mine it's more of a slot about 1/8" wide by 1/2" long. Inside is the place to push the pin. But it took me mostly disassembling my column to find this along with the great support here...but now I'm ever wiser.

I'm replacing both the door cylinders and the ignition as I swapped in this tilt column and obviously the key didn't match.

I also replaced the ignition switch as it would stick in the start position and sometime not fully return to "run" causing the charge circuit not to energize....ie "ALT" light would stay on.

So it's back together awaiting a good wash from being stored and it's time to start cruisin.

Thanks to all who relied and helped!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
my pleasure , always liking to help fellow cougar fanatics
thanks
pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts