Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I am planning the suspension for my 67 restomod but want some opinions on suspension set ups that won't break the bank. I've been looking at Heidts, TCP, and other IFS setups as well as FatMan, Ron Morris but they are very expensive and possibly out of reach for me at the moment.

The car will retain the small block and C4 for now and I am planning on possible a brake setup like Mustang Steves as it is affordable for modern big brakes.

Maybe it's a good idea to use the standard 60's geometry and go with performance springs, sway bar, etc??

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I will be installing a rack and pinion steering set up as well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What... Nobody has any opinions on these?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i'm very pleased with our setup---cut coil , kyb shocks ,1 1/8 sway bar , cavalear 2.8 rack (steeroids brackets ) , stock ford p/s pump ,15x6 styled steel rims ,bfg 205-60-15 wlt
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm pretty happy with mine. I've got new factory-style control arms with poly graphite bushings, the Steeriods power rack setup with with Cavalier rack, the grab-a-trak sway bar, 620lb springs, KYB shocks, the Shelby drop, a monte carlo bar and a fat export brace, and Global West adjustable strut rods.

It feels nice and tight, flat through the corners, but with the rack I've lost a bit of the turning radius. I've never had to do a 3-point turn in the middle of the highway, but it gets close sometimes when there isn't a sizable median.

Since It's been a couple years now since I built the car I've had much more time to research it and mull it over. Even though it "works fine" now, I'll probably put in a bagged Mustang II-style suspension with a 4-link in the rear if I ever re-do it one day for the sole purposes of getting rid of the shock towers and having a true "restomod". With that dreamy "one day" motor, I'll need to have a much better power-to-the-pavement setup than I do now. I feel, though, that the car isn't a legitimate restomod if it has 60's technology suspension. It is expensive to get all that flashy new hardware, though. You can do it now and compromise, wishing (like I do) that you had just slowed down and did it the cool way, or do it over a longer period of time and do it the really cool way for real.

Have you kept up with Stacy's Interceptor build? He's got all that fancy stuff on his.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
What's your budget for the front suspension?
If you're on a tight budget, run the factory Boss 302 suspension and be prepared to correct bumpsteer if/when you cut a coil to lower it.
That and a Shelby drop is a good way to make an old suspension better than ok.
Use the extra coin somewhere else, like frame bracing. Once you put tighter suspension on it, all that energy goes into the unibody instead of dissipating in the stock tuna boat springs and shocks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Sean that TCI setup Stacy installed is really nice!

Cougarshaman my budget is smaller than I thought when I see the prices of some of the aftermarket/restomod suspension and steering setups. Might have to sell some more junk from the closet for this project or a kidney or something!

And thanks Mike for messaging me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts