Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at what's available and then trying to mock something up in non-corrugated cardboard (as a pattern for sheet metal), I caved in and spent the RIDICULOUS price for one of these:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1969-70-Camera-Case-Black-Billet-DIN-Radio-Bezel.html

Bought from mustangdepot since they were cheapest with shipping at a mere $360!!!

The plastic ones (at around $100) that MU, WCCC and others sell look like real flimsy crap not to mention being not even close to original looking. If you want a DIN radio, the only real choice (IMO) is the JME piece. Looks to be very nice (and internet research supports/shaped this conclusion about the available DIN pieces). Ordered in woodgrain and hope to change the heater surround part of it to the JCC burlwood WG.

Hoping that eventually I will forget about being anally raped in order to get one.

Didn't even have to go to prison to get this sort of treatment! :buck:

Happy Holidays!

E-Bob

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
With it being so close to Christmas and all couldn't you talk Mrs. ECI into buying it for you?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With it being so close to Christmas and all couldn't you talk Mrs. ECI into buying it for you?
Actually, yeah, she offered to buy it, but the story is always the same, I buy my Xmas presents and we settle up later. Where's the fun/excitement/surprise in that?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can make your own using a stock reproduction bezel. I copied this from someone on a Mustang forum after reading the poor reviews on the flimsy din bezels.

Cut out for DIN.

Cover top and bottom gaps with some black plastic. Cut down the cage front at an angle to match the bezel.

I don't have the stereo trim plate on in this picture, but it doesn't look bad.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
That's why I have a brand-new-in-the-box Pioneer Super Tuner II sitting on my parts shelf for BetaCat. AlphaCat already has one, with the requisite under-dash graphic equalizer/power booster!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
That's why I have a brand-new-in-the-box Pioneer Super Tuner II sitting on my parts shelf for BetaCat. AlphaCat already has one, with the requisite under-dash graphic equalizer/power booster!!!
Where did you get it.
Had one of those back in the day, good stereo.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Where did you get it.
Had one of those back in the day, good stereo.
Garage sale on my mail route. $20. New-in-box, with all wiring uncut/in wrapper. Price sticker on the box from the store that sold it new started out at $349.95, finally marked down to $194.84.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a Supertuner III cassette deck with GM-120 component amplifier, really kicked a$$ back in the day, but who wants a cassette deck now? I have the AD-30 EQ as well, but had to go with current technology. MP3 disks are awesome! Just have to work out the right speakers and amp combination and I'm good to go. 60W speakers in doors and dash, something more in the rear and possibly amp (and sub?). Played with deck and front speakers in basement tonight (as well as BT phone stuff), pretty cool. Needs bass but otherwise pretty good!

Kenwood KDC-BT645U bluetooth enabled deck with optional HD module, KDC-4675C door speakers so far. Have stereo dash speaker but thinking of upgrading the speakers to some Pioneer TS-878's like the higher end offered from the usual suspects. HD radio sounds pretty good, but only could get one local station in the basment with a clip lead for an antenna, looking forward to trying that out some more with NYC stations.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You can make your own using a stock reproduction bezel. I copied this from someone on a Mustang forum after reading the poor reviews on the flimsy din bezels.
Planning the same thing. Have a Mustang bezel that WCCC's catalog says will fit, just has one less mounting screw. Didn't get it from Don; but his page told me what I needed to know, along with prior knowledge of a '72 Stang that was being parted out locally. $5 for a "dremel ready job". :lolani:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any one have a way to put a DIN in a 67 XR7 with the console in it without to much cutting and not having to put in the glove box?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Cut down the cage front at an angle to match the bezel...
If I understand correctly, this means the stereo front is not parallel to the bezel then, correct? Not sure how I feel about that.

...I don't have the stereo trim plate on in this picture, but it doesn't look bad...
Yep, not bad. The anal rape I paid for should hopefully yield even better than not bad, that's the hope anyway. Going for "slicker than snot on a doorknob". :buck:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I understand correctly, this means the stereo front is not parallel to the bezel then, correct? Not sure how I feel about that.

Yep, not bad. The anal rape I paid for should hopefully yield even better than not bad, that's the hope anyway. Going for "slicker than snot on a doorknob". :buck:
That JME piece does look nice and I think your car deserves it.

Here's what I mean about cutting the cage at an angle. The cage doesn't fit through the bezel. Its hard to see in my first picture, but I had to file the inside of the bezel a little just to squeeze the receiver through. The cut portion of the cage rests against the back of the bezel and its very tight with everything in place.

Here's the end product with the receiver trim piece on. I had to notch the trim piece around the chrome trim before it would fit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work Dave!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts