Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My'68 cougar runs pretty good. Doesn't stall, no surging idle. But when it idles after the engine is hot it seems to hiccup in the idle non stop, you can hear it from the exhaust. its almost like a popping noise coming from the exhaust pipes. I run 89 octane gasoline in it. If someone can explain the cause and how to fix it, that would be awesome.

Thanks, Nate B

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You'll have to do a bit of groundwork to determine if it's fuel/electical/vacuum related. I'd start by looking for the obvious cracked vac hoses/loose ones. Shoot a bit of carb cleaner around the base of the carb and along intake runners to see if it stumbles at all. Check your plug wires and plugs to see that they are in good shape - kinda sounds like it's missing so look real close at the plugs. Look inside your dist cap and be sure it's not carboned up or cracked....see if you can kill it by covering the carb with your hands - if it's tough to do you have a vac leak somewhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had a lot of vacuum leaks before, and i might have missed one. Its got new plugs and wires, I'll check the cap as well. Thanks for the leads!!

Nate B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts