Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 cougar with 302, all was good until i cleaned the carb, its a 4 barrel holley. I sprayed the barrels with carb cleaner and now I have this issue whenever I stop at a light it sputters and dies. When trying to start i have to mash the gas to even get her running. If i let off it it will sputter and die. It sounds like when it dies, theres some kind of loud vacuum noise. Any idea?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Did you pull the carb of to clean it? Sounds like something is stuck? or a jet got plugged up. Just wondering are you butterflys opening? If they get stuck closed I think you would hear a vacuum hiss and also the car would be flooding itself out and dying on ya.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The carb cleaner could have also washed away some gunk that was sealing the baseplate gasket up. I am wondering if you just need to replace the baseplate gasket.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You could have upset the needle and seat or got a piece of crud in there so that it will not seat. Also if you pulled the carb to clean it did you buy any chance tip it upside down? could have a float stuck that way. Before you tear into anything though with it running spray some carb cleaner around the baseplate and see if that changes anything. Might find a leak that way but I don't think it would flood that way I would rather think it would be to lean?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didnt take the carb off...basically heres how i think this may have happened, i changed the oil, and sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner in the barrels. on the drive home last night i realized that the car would sputter around middle of 2 but let off the gas and found if i eased back into it, it would go on through, after filling up with gas the next morning it died on the way back from the gas station, got to the house after i punched it to start it and popped the hood to find that the fuel in lne to the carb was leaking gas heavily. then found that the brass fitting wouldnt fit into the female housing in the carb (holley 4 barrel) because it was stripped so i use some teflon tape and a little adhesive to hold it in place, after doing all this and talking to my dad realized that i had the choke all the way out inside and after pushing it in no more problem. about 2 hours later i began to drive to work she sputtered and died at the light, then she was fine at the next few light. down the road it happened 2 more times, then finally as i pulled onto the road it died at a low speed. i coasted to my destination and am now trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Now I would think it is time to take apart the carb. Sounds like you got something in the jets or at the least the needle is stuck by some of the crud you used as adheasive? Not sure if you could use a heli-coil on the carb or not?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was a silicone type adhesive, the brass fitting doesnt even grab at all, i have no idea what was done to it other than someone must have seriously over tightened it. the adhesive pulls right off. forgot the name of it. also tried to use a thread repair heli coil type thing but it wouldnt catch anything to start it

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i started it no problem runs fine but is pouring gas from the stripped brass fitting and carb connection, going to try helicoil but if that doesnt work is there any type of tape that wont be eat by gas and close it up?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would think you could use a small tap with fine thread just to get the heli coil in. I would stay away from any type of tape or adhesive. Might just have to replace the carb. and a 10 lb. extinguisher rated ABC would be a good idea till you getter fixed right. That would be an easy way to ruin a nice car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts