Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 1996 Cougar xr-7 (3.6l) has an idle problem. Even when engine is warmed up the idle will not drop below 1500 rpm. Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you mean 4.6L? or 3.8L? Is the check engine light on? Codes stored? A quick test on either engine would be to disconnect the electrical connector at the idle speed control motor with the engine warmed up at idle. If it stalls or almost stalls the engine computer is intentionally raising the idle speed. If the engine stays running at near the same speed you have unmetered air getting into the engine or the idle speed control motor is stuck open. Ford vacuum lines are prone to problems. Inspect the PCV hoses for leakage. Also remove the PCV valve from the valve cover and make sure it did not fall apart. Common problem as the OE valve is plastic. Note If you need to replace the PCV valve on any car use OE parts only as aftermarket parts are at best cheap copies.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill thanks for the response, I did mean 3.8l and the engine light has not come on so I assume there are no codes. Prior to the problem, I did clean the PCV valve so that might have caused the problem I guess. I am going to inspect the PCV hose as suggested. Can you tell me where the idle speed control motor is located? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bill thanks for the response, I did mean 3.8l and the engine light has not come on so I assume there are no codes. Prior to the problem, I did clean the PCV valve so that might have caused the problem I guess. I am going to inspect the PCV hose as suggested. Can you tell me where the idle speed control motor is located? Thanks again for your help.
Not sure if this picture looks exactly like your engine but give it a shot.

Bill

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts