1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
519 Posts
I liked what the author had to say about Mercury needing to combine "Strong styling and more horsepower" and drawing upon past styling cues to create a unique identity.

The Maruader is a step in the right direction but the loss of Cougar is a step in the wrong direction. We'll have to see where it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The return of the Cougar is as much in the bag as the new Mustang platform. They just come out and say anything about it until the next gen mustang debuts.

You won't see a great deal of information on it until it is almost ready to hit the street. Reason? Mercury does NOT want the press speculating anywhere near as long as they did on both the blackwood and the marauder. It did nothing but hurt them.

Mercury is desparate to bring the 20 something's and 30 something's to it's product lines, and Marauder and next gen Cougar are they way they'll accomplish that. With the average mercury buyer being 62 years old, they're trying very hard to get that number down.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If they dont there in the position to go the way of the Olds. Yeah that Blackwoods been a real money maker huh? mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
well they better do something i would hate to see them go the way of plymouth or olds. the biggest problem i see today is there is not the midline market cars anymore mercury used to be not quite a lincoln but not a ford. more stuff came on the car when you bought it. then of course ford would steal the merc engine and market it as a ford motor. But with cars today you already get everything that at one time only the top 1 percent of car owners could afford. allot of the younger people look in horror to think they may have to drive a car without a/c. (all you younger peopel dont take offense)it is a generalization. So how do you attract? They need to market those with the money and at the top who have the kids leaving home and now have more disposable income. This has always in my estimation been mercurys problem. the 20 somethings as a whole want to soup up hondas or buy suvs. the 50 and older want lincolns and cadillacs. but those in the 30 to 50 are wanting to relive there youth and have the money to afford a nice luxury muscle with good lines. this worked with the origanal cougars as well as the later fox chasie up to 98. marketing to the old crowd was dismal at best in the 74 through 86. then the chicklet ....well we all know about that once again younger guys are going with the rice after all they make the after market for it not for the domestic stuff, so i dont blame them. I would love to see a reintroduced 49 merc and anything with chrome bumpers! but sadly with fords problems right now i am going to hold my breath. Besides for what they are asking for that new marauder i could by a gte and buy the land a garage to store it in.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
call it Blackwood, call it a Lincoln. they just killed it. no longer gonna be made after only a few thousand units. can you say potential collectable?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Lincoln-Mercury? One in the same to me. There both sold on the same floor. Never seen a seprate dealer for either myself. mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts