Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1970 Mercury Cougar, the engine is a 351. My question concerns the factory A/C. The A/C unit works but does not blow out cold air. Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated as I live in a very hotttt climate. I was wondering if it could be the A/C condensor. Any help for a newby???? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Could use a charge.I think there is a kit that can convert from the r12 to the r 134 setup. Plus before you do anything i do a leak check 1st to see if all is well..No need to recharge it if it has a leak in the system..

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Have it checked out by someone that specializes in AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS. Charging can be expensive, so need to know the condition of the complete system FIRST. Normally, NOT a do-it-your-self project, NORMALLY....

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
980 Posts
I bought a new compressor for mine at Advanced Auto, $130.00 (plus old core). Pumped out all the old fluid (freon) in it and it held vacuum at 29 lbs for two hours +. Changed the valve to accept R-134a and it never really got what I would call "cold"...so I called a friend that still had a 30 lb canister of R-12 and re-charged it and it gets so cold now the wife complains and rolls her window down. While stopped at a Casey's store the other day, a guy came over to tell me it was leaking coolant from underneath.... I smiled and told him it was the condensation from the air conditioning...he about fell over to hear that on a car that old it still worked...I thought "me too". Bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I bought a new compressor for mine at Advanced Auto, $130.00 (plus old core). Pumped out all the old fluid (freon) in it and it held vacuum at 29 lbs for two hours +. Changed the valve to accept R-134a and it never really got what I would call "cold"...so I called a friend that still had a 30 lb canister of R-12 and re-charged it and it gets so cold now the wife complains and rolls her window down. While stopped at a Casey's store the other day, a guy came over to tell me it was leaking coolant from underneath.... I smiled and told him it was the condensation from the air conditioning...he about fell over to hear that on a car that old it still worked...I thought "me too". Bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
R-134 works nearly as well as R-12 if all components are in good working order. It's been used in new cars since 1994ish and I never hear anyone complaining that their new car A/C isn't cold.

When converting an old car to 134, you must get the correct components. I have an original evaporator but the condenser, drier, compressor, hoses and expansion valve are all from Classic Auto Air and set up for 134. I'm getting 38* air out of the registers which is cold enough for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts