Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to town about 8 months ago and rented a cheap place, it didn't have a garage for my cougar and I didn't like the neighbors. I found a new place with a garage so I can park my car and motorcycle in there and moved in last week.

well...... I left my car on the street for the last time before I moved it to its new home and then the next morning it was hit. Of course the don't have insurance so that is one more hassle I have to deal with.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
that soo sucks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ouch!

I feel your pain! I had something similar happen when I was living in Austin. The ONE night I left my 442 on the street it got side-swiped and the bastich who hit me didn't stop.

It really sucks, but it could've been worse. You know who did it, they didn't hit your quarter panel, and it looks like they missed your rocker panel too.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I'd at least get my pound of flesh

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It looks like a new (used) door will be all you need - the quarter panel and the front fender look OK. So repairs will not involve welding, fill and sanding. Just bolt and align, after the door is painted. It could have been a lot worse of it happened 2 feet further back.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yea that really sucks to see happen. Hope it's a easy fit and there is no other structure damage. Nice looking cat too! Don't forget to keep your doortag!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
That really blows. Good looking car too!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stuff like this makes me soooooooo mad. Most states require liability insurance, people still don't have it, illegals cross our borders everyday, and I need a passport to travel....(shaking my head) guess I am becoming my Grandpa. Sorry man, maybe he has someting of value to collect, obviously a pound of flesh just ain't enough. Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to an auto body shop looks like this thing is going to cost between $1000-$1300 just to get the door hung and painted, thats with me switching all the other stuff window, crank, and latch. For that kind of money I think I will take the chance of painting it myself. My situation is that I can't use an air compressor that would be to loud so after searching around I found this - http://www.eastwood.com/earlex-spray-station-economy-kit-1-5mm-and2-0mm.html

After talking with the body working guys sounds like i need a buffer capable of 2000 rpm I'll do some more shopping but it will have to be electric too.

Has any one else done a air compressor free job or used the above gun?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
That is just nuts. Hand over a replacement door and they can paint and hang it for you for much less then a grand.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
People are just freekin idiots. My car was bashed from every angle, been through the insurance dance (always some other knucklehead at fault) a few times....grrrrr.

Make sure to check that your window glass and frame is Ok, also your interior panels may have gotten warped or the pins sheered.

People who hit collector cars of any stripe should be shot on sight. :badass:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ebeo1, First of all, sorry you got hit, that really sucks!
Im in Canada and we are required by law to have auto insurance here, is that not the case in Columbia where you are?
Also! does the party which did the damage feel any obligation to compensate you at all? Just curious. :) I'm glad the experts here feel it could have been much much worse then it is.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
When my brother and me went to the 86 Expo in Vancouver BC we got hit and the driver did not have insurance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i dont think it will be as simple as painting a door and hanging it on, the fender and quarter panel need to be blended to ensure a color match.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man, that sucks!!!!! There is not a worse feeling than coming outside to find something has been messed up on your car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The parties responsible offered me their condolences and promised me they would take care of things to get my car repaired (once the cop showed up). They are not insured looks like they don’t have any money either and to tell the truth I don’t think they are going to keep their promise to me. On to other news I got two different estimates both were the same so if things go smoothly I’ll have this done by the end of the month.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 36 Posts