Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Err..OrigiNal ;) Check this out- I had to jump on this pretty quickly..Thanks to Gavin S. for pointing her out!! In San Fran Bay Area, 6500.00. There are still some pretty unmolested cars out there that are affordable, apparently. Click on any pic for a photobucket link. I can't beleive how good the interior (and the ext. paint, for that matter) looks..this lady was the original buyer, and the car is coming with two cases of 8 track tapes and tons and tons of paperwork.

All original, Standard, AM 8 Track, console, PS PB Tinted Can't wait to drive her!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking car. Seller obviously kept it clean.

If you decide you don't want those ugly old hubcaps, let me know.
Hehe..nice try ;) I'm actually trying to figure out why those centers are red. They were black in '68 apparently, and I'm not sure how easy it was to have them switched out originally at a dealership, or if she simply bought them and added the styling touch later on.

The other interesting thing in the car that I've never seen before (perhaps I should be embarrassed) is the red e-brake light by that handle. That is pretty cool. I never knew that came from the factory. Is it an orderable option?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
That is an option and somewhat rare. I know this sounds sacrilege but I assume that when you replace the vinyl top you will do like I did and go black? Would you also change the interior to black? Add SS wheels and that would be a sharp looking car!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Looks like a nice driver, Brian.

Try to miss the wider brake pedal when you are phantom shifting. :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Very nice original find. Congrats !

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Nice car. What's that doohickey thingy on the kickpanel next to the heater controls?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is an option and somewhat rare. I know this sounds sacrilege but I assume that when you replace the vinyl top you will do like I did and go black? Would you also change the interior to black? Add SS wheels and that would be a sharp looking car!
Don,

I don't have any thoughts of modifying the car in any way..I think it's too much of a time-capsule to mess with! But yes, that'd be a killer combination. I'll just be happy (for a while) being that guy drivin' around in Gramma's Cougar. I can't wait to talk to the Spunky little old Lady that bought the car!

I think that the vinyl as-is could be somewhat preserved with a bit of chemical-help in the biggest cracks, and other associated TLC and vinyl treatment and not too-much-weather exposure..

Here's another Q: If Shock-top brackets are supposed to be bare metal, why are these black just like the engine bay and Shock tower supports??

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hehe..nice try ;) I'm actually trying to figure out why those centers are red. They were black in '68 apparently, and I'm not sure how easy it was to have them switched out originally at a dealership, or if she simply bought them and added the styling touch later on.
I think I had this conversation with Don in a prior thread. The red-center wire covers are pictured in the 1969 Cougar Brochure. I have a vague memory of seeing some internet site list them as correct for 68 and 69, but others have said not true. All I know is I have them on both my cars, and wish I had some in better condition.

Add SS wheels and that would be a sharp looking car!
Yeah... you really ought to do that and scrap those lame, ugly fake wire wheel poseurs. I'll send you the address for the scrap pile. :smoke:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nice score Brian, I recall my shock top brackets also being black before stripping the paint on them and my engine compartment. Is the mileage low on the car? John

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just keep learnin'..hmm, for some reason I'd never seen "black OR bare metal" on the judging sheets..apparently I need to read the judging sheets ;)

John, the mileage is about 81K and fully documented!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Nice survivor.
I believe other than detailing and replacement of the vinyl top, SS wheels and repro tires would be all I'd do.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see black on original cars all the time...
I'm curious, is this possibly a San Jose/Dearborn difference? (I've never had a San Jose Car before!)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nice find Brian and congratz of finding a really clean driver!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I would have let my J-Code go for half that amount..

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Sweet...........Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" on 8-track. Great album.

Nice looking Cougar too.......

1 - 20 of 76 Posts