Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to pulling the old springs out, and comparing them to the 1" lowering springs I got from NPD.

DSCF0359s.jpg

The 1" lowering springs are 4 " shorter uncompressed! I'm not sure what the stock springs are, but the lowering spring is about 13", and the ones I pulled out are 17".

Just for grins, I put one of the lowering springs on the passenger side, and put it back on the ground. It's amazing how much lower the car is now! It seems like the front bumper is about a foot lower.

I'm doing a roller conversion on the spring perches, so maybe this weekend after I get that done I'll roll it outside and get some pictures of the new ride height.

As a reminder here is how it sat when I bought it with no engine or trans in it;
DSCF0054s.jpg DSCF0055s.jpg

And here it is with the 351W and T5 trans in place AND the Arning / Shelby 1" drop.;

DSCF0181s.jpg

After sitting over the winter it did settle down some from that last picture. I didn't notice much looking at it, but the shocks were about an inch closer to bolting up.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Springs are a funny thing. About all you can do to be "sure" is to cut very little at a time (like 1/2 coil), try and try again..

good work!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
measuring an un loaded sping won't tell you anything ---it's all about spring rate--i had a 57 olds that needed to be raised 1 1/2 inch---the new sping from coil spring specialties looked like your shorter spring--but raised the car the 1 1/2 over the longer spring

·
Registered
173 Posts
i also have the 1 inch drops in front. When i get time i will cut them just a bit to get it to just the ride hight i want. cool thing about the beefy shorter drop springs is that they practicly come right out with the car jacked up. just need a screw driver to pry it out and twist a litte bit and they pop right out.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Wow. They "pop" right out.
This is one thing my father made very clear to me when I was working on front ends. He had seen a man with his arm torn off from a coil spring accident.
Be careful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow. They "pop" right out.
This is one thing my father made very clear to me when I was working on front ends. He had seen a man with his arm torn off from a coil spring accident.
Be careful.
haha it sounds scarier than it is. the spring is fully uncompressed when the car is off the ground. just need a little muscle to get it out. not much though. safer than compressing them if they dont need to be compressed. had one of those compressors slip on me once. THAT was scary as hell. haha

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just remember that when you cut one, it will drop it more than you think. One full coil is about 1.5 to 2 inches on the spring, but mine dropped over 3 by just cutting out one coil. Think of the geometry. The spring is in the middle of the pivot points, for every inch taken out, it drops the spindle side by 2 inches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha it sounds scarier than it is. the spring is fully uncompressed when the car is off the ground. just need a little muscle to get it out. not much though. safer than compressing them if they dont need to be compressed. had one of those compressors slip on me once. THAT was scary as hell. haha

Exactly. I didn't need a spring compressor to put the new spring in. I just set it on top of the control arm, and held it in place until I could jack up the lower arm enough to raise the spring to the shock tower.

Also regarding the geometry, it seriously does seem like the front end has come down close to a foot. I should have measured how absurdly high it was.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
measuring an un loaded sping won't tell you anything ---it's all about spring rate--i had a 57 olds that needed to be raised 1 1/2 inch---the new sping from coil spring specialties looked like your shorter spring--but raised the car the 1 1/2 over the longer spring
Your right, the spring rate has quite a lot to do with it. I was just shocked once i got the old spring out and looked at it next to the new spring. I've put lowering springs in other cars before, and usually they don't look THAT different, so I had to take a picture.

I think another picture of the side of the car showing the tire to fenderwell gap will really show what a change it is. But the very front of the car moved the most. I swear the front bumper went from waist high to knee high.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Your right, the spring rate has quite a lot to do with it. I was just shocked once i got the old spring out and looked at it next to the new spring. I've put lowering springs in other cars before, and usually they don't look THAT different, so I had to take a picture.

I think another picture of the side of the car showing the tire to fenderwell gap will really show what a change it is. But the very front of the car moved the most. I swear the front bumper went from waist high to knee high.
I was suprised when I changed mine out too. I was like so THATS why this thing rides like a boat haha. (plus it had stock shocks...i think.). It rides a little stiff now but its way more responsive. I think when i go to cut mine to drop it another inch I will cut an inch at a time off and see how that goes. They were only 80 bucks so it wont be too much of a loss if I screw it up. But i still rather get it right the first time. I think i might actually try to do it this weekend. Any recommondations on cutting coils?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK
Before;
DSCF0181s.jpg

And lowered "1 inch";
DSCF0365s.jpg

Also here is a picture of the lowering coil spring uncompressed. I am holding it up against the shock tower at the top, and it isn't even touching the perch at the bottom.
DSCF0364s.jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
OK
Before;
View attachment 26591

And lowered "1 inch";
View attachment 26592

Also here is a picture of the lowering coil spring uncompressed. I am holding it up against the shock tower at the top, and it isn't even touching the perch at the bottom.
View attachment 26593
This is odd, with the motor and trans in and it sat that high, I would say that somebody put the wrong springs in before you got it. Where did you get the new springs, are they the 620's and what brand?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure they were wrong. The old springs I took out were "new," they still had tags on them that read "8318 MADE IN CANADA." I tried looking them up before, and I believe the proper application for them was 1971-1973 Mustang with the inline 6.

The new springs are from NPD, Part # 5310-2B. They are 550#.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rolled the old girl outside this past weekend, and took a picture. I like the way it is sitting now.

2011-10-22_13-39-32_236.jpg

Once again the front suspension is stock except for the Arning/Shelby 1" drop, and the NPD 1" lower springs. The front wheels/ tires are spare tires (225/60 R16) from a 1999 Grand Marquis, and similar era Towncar. The rears are some old Eddie Bauer Explorer wheels (???/70R15) I had around. Way to big in diameter on the rear, but I like the way the fronts fit.

Again these are just to roll the car around while working on it, because I got so tired of fussing with the ridiculous unilugs every time I took them on or off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Spring rates

The 8318 is for a 67 Cougar, among others like Fairlane, Falcon to Torinos.
rates:
Wire dia .610
Load Height 10.5"
Load 1700
Rate 289
Freehight 16.365

I use the 8356 for all 69 & 70's the 67's & 8"s tend to ride a bit high w/ these,so cut 1/2 coil

Wire dia .660
Load Height 10.5"
Load 1900
Rate 418
Freehight 15.036

The 620 rate springs are really too much. It makes the car ride stiff, and handeling suffers. I use the 8356 on the race car, but cut 1 1/2 coils off among other mods.

They are on my vert, Boss cats, and many others...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Re: Spring rates

When I pulled the springs out of my 68 that had a 302 in it, they were the same wire size and length as what I had in my 71 xr7 with a 351C.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts