Mercury Cougar Owners banner

I think I got duped

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GYRHEAD 
#1 ·
Last week I bought a radio bezel on ebay, supposedly NOS. I admit, I didn't look at the seller's feedback first. The price was low and I snatched it up. Then I see the same exact auction up a week later. Same pics same description. When I look at the feedback the seller has been accused of selling repops as NOS. Any way to ID the repop to be sure?

I bought this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250947643892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now he has this for sale...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250946562036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

#2 ·
his feedback looks OK - maybe he has more than one but didn't change the description at all?

#3 ·
What are the markings on the back and how do they compare to the marking on an original? (assume you have one or someone here will) Generally repro will have different markings and may or may not (more likely not) have the original Ford part number whereas original will have a Ford PN.

#4 · (Edited)
Well it arrived today and it has a c8 part number. It has raised letters that say PT. NO. - C8ZA18842-C. It also has a mark W D C in small raised letters and 8055 and a stamped symbol that looks like a W on top of a capitol A with D C in the W. It came with paper ford envelope without a part number. Looks good though. I only bought it as a backup to my console. I was thinking of going with a custom console that meets this bezel. I don't have an original to compare it to.

Looking at ebay, I found a NOS one advertised with the same markings by a different seller. A positive sign. I also saw another with the -B part number and completely different markings.

I would be interested if anyone has a NOS and can tell me if this sounds legit.

#5 ·
i felt a little duped when i bought this.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67mustcdbezel-chrome.html
when it came in it was just a flimsy piece of plastic with plastic chrome. I was expecting hard metal. especially for $100. But it does the job and doesn't look bad. I wish I would have known it was plastic and extra flimsy when i bought it. You could twist it almost a half twist. But the way it bolts up it holds the stereo nice and sturdy. So I can't complain other than I think they should inform the buyer of what they are really buying. Usually wccc is pretty good at that. Theyre still good to me though.

#6 ·
I am pretty sure that that is a Daniel Carpenter reproduction part. It was made using the original tooling so to some degree it is the same as a true NOS part. The original B version of the part has the FoMoCo logo on the back, the C version did not. The letters WDC and the other markings are not there on the originals.

If you thought that the part was old then you got duped, if you wanted it to be identical to the original then you got what you wanted.

That DIN opening replacement is PLASTIC? That is crap because the radio should ground through the chassis if at all possible. I need to talk to Don and suggest that we do a real cast metal version of that dash bezel. I think we could do it for what they are charging for plastic.

#9 ·
That DIN opening replacement is PLASTIC? That is crap because the radio should ground through the chassis if at all possible. I need to talk to Don and suggest that we do a real cast metal version of that dash bezel. I think we could do it for what they are charging for plastic.
yeah If i knew it was plastic I wouldnt have bought it. but I decided to just cut my losses and use it anyways instead of looking for a real one. Felt like I was kinda conned into it usually wccc will warn you of stuff like that. but it works. I dont feel like it's worth more than 15 bucks. But I pretend that i never forked out that much for it. I just hope it lasts lol.
Like it's really cheap feeling. You can seriously hold it at each end and twist it almost 180 degrees without stressing the plastic enough to crack it.

sorry to hijack post.

#12 ·
Sorry John, I was referring to the ones that have the same cavity markings. It is very cool that you have a cavity 2 part. For some crazy reason I always seem to get cavity 1 parts. Are there any other differences? They were supposed to be the same but they were cut by hand back then.

#14 · (Edited)
Bill, here are pics of the 2 radio bezels. 1st 2 pics are of the CAV #1 bezel & last 2 pics are of the CAV #2 bezel. I don't know if this is the reason for the differences, but the 2 holes on the back for the radio dials are cut differently. More crudely in the 1st 2 pics. John Metal
Metal
Metal
Metal

#16 ·
IMO, this is not an honest seller.

For starters, he is selling a very narrow range of products, all common repop items for popular musclecars - and he appears to have all of these items in a quantity and low price that defies belief for an "true" NOS vendor.

He positions the items atop a manufacturers logo, and then uses deceptive words like "the part number that appears in this item is C8ZZ...." or "Made in the USA" True statements perhaps, but deceptive - and chosen carefully to decieve.

NOS means something VERY, VERY specific. A new, never used OEM part that has long been discontinued by the manufacturer. Often in the factory package, which may be in pretty poor shape.

Where are the photos of his original, OEM packaging in his listings?

In my advice, steer clear - I've been in the real NOS business for a very long time, and this dude is playing loose with the truth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.