Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But does anyone else own mid to late 70's Cougars? 1974-79? I looked thru several threads and haven't seen any.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leon that car reminds me of summer nights at the drive-in movies with my parents. That's amazing on so many levels.

That video was sad but I'm really happy I bought the 76 that I did. The hard to find parts are all there, it just needs a tune up and a hood ornament. Ordered the hood ornament from ebay a few days ago.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You can't say they don't have a lot of fender/hood to love on.....if you are into the fatties! ;>) I'm not so sure the steel they used for panels in the 70's held out against the elements as well as earlier and later stuff? Seems like they rotted out much quicker or it only seems that way, but you sure son't see many of them in good shape if you do see one. they didn't get the love that's for sure....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Im seriously thinking about getting one...a 75, original paint, straight solid body, 70k miles, all original, been sitting under a carport. the paint is dead, the vinyl top flaked off, but its got the magnum 500s and all original interior..... and dealer installed CB radio. the guy who has it, inherited it from an uncle and did a carb overhaul and tune up and the 351 fired up nicely....AC works too.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I freely admit it was nostalgia more than practicality when I bought the 76 last week. When I was a kid my parents bought a 74 of the showroom floor. It was the very first new car they ever bought. 8 years later they bought an 83 Cougar and gave me the 74. My dad and I put a bored 390 in it with a 4 barrel. It was a real sleeper lol. Looked like Grandma's car but with some serious punch.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
The only thing I didnt like on my 75 was the hood ornament, so replaced that with a 77 series from the local mercury parts dept. And as said before, I sure do miss the old graphic equalizer, both in the car and the house :evil:.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would you think about replacing the stand up hood ornament with a flat one like on the '86 Cougar?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts