Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent about two hours last night on one wire wheel cover for my GT. I got it pretty nice, but my fingers are a mess!

Any tips? I used a couple soft rags and a Wenol-style polish, finger tips, small brush handle to poke into the small spaces, etc..but there's GOT to be a better way.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Wire / spoke wheel spray, soak and then into your wifes dishwasher when she heads out for a couple hours. Put it on the hottest, longest setting, lots of detergent. Finish with 0000 steel wool.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wire wheel cover spray, soak and then into your wifes dishwasher when she heads out for a couple hours. Put it on the hottest, longest setting, lots of detergent. Finish with 0000 steel wool.
Then the fight broke out!!! hehe

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Wifes dishwasher? Hey thats me!

·
Registered
200 Posts
x2 on the dishwasher....i use to use the dishwasher for my wire wheel covers and they always turned out awesome afterwards...quick rinse off with some compressed air and all ready to go

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Wire / spoke wheel spray, soak and then into your wifes dishwasher when she heads out for a couple hours. Put it on the hottest, longest setting, lots of detergent. Finish with 0000 steel wool.

I know why you sold me the station wagon with those wire wheels - punishment for my past sins. Even a Mothers mini-ball can't get them clean

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Don! I have got to try this!

I got all distracted this weekend working on my Chrome wheels on another car, haven't tried this stuff yet..sigh..my fingers are tired!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL well I guess I won't be able to pawn off any sets on Leon now! I had a set of turbine wheels on my mustang one time.......same deal, a real PITA to keep looking good ---- can't just chuck those in th dishwasher! If they are to grimey for that you may want to invest in dremel tool and some muslin cloth wheels with aluminum oxide paste and keep your calander clear for awhile! From now on, don't drive with them in the rain/dirt roads/etc! Buy some dog dish ones for genereal knocking around days...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like I actually did pretty well on my one wheel cover..1.5 hrs ain't too bad..going back and looking at it, I am pretty impressed! Just got to wear gloves next time (thin rubber ones, got to have the "feel" on my fingers) and go back in. Put the music up high, fill a glass with ice and bourbon and get after it!

The hardest part on a lot of these projects is walkin' out to the shop and getting started ;)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update..Wow, I had no idea that this stuff works so well! I bought some Mother's Wire wheel cleaner last night, sprayed and soaked with the garden hose (followed by some time on the buffer for the outer ring area) and BAM! Very nice..

On another note to self..buy another Rubber Mallet. Wow those suckers are tough to get back on! I ended up putting a little grease on the wheel, or I'd have really bruised up the palms of my hands trying to slide the devils back on! It has been a few decades since I had to deal with true hub caps. OUCH

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
On another note to self..buy another Rubber Mallet. Wow those suckers are tough to get back on! I ended up putting a little grease on the wheel, or I'd have really bruised up the palms of my hands trying to slide the devils back on! It has been a few decades since I had to deal with true hub caps. OUCH
Next post: How do I get the dents out of the outer edges of my wire wheel covers? :1poke::1poke::):)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way..also, a good mildly abrasive Chrome/metal polish with a microfiber cloth is a great way to polish the haze and fine scratches from the face of the center hub on these wheel covers. They come out amazingly shiny after just a little elbow grease!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts