Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get this parts car (this weekend, I hope) where do I start? This car has a near perfect interior. (so, I've heard)
Should I do the headliner first?
How do I take stuff apart?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think.....

Your best bet is to purchase a shop manual!! Thats what i did, now when i get stuck i look at the book and it tells me how everything was assembled and how everything works!! It pretty much covers everything, not sure about the body panels though??? but everything else!! It'll tell you step by step what to do and how to do it, with diagrams.... a must for everyone you wants to get intimate with their Cougar!! :D Aslo i think there was an assembly manual.... but if it is mainly interior you are asking then a shop manual is the one!! All good Cougar vendors stock them... around $45 i think?? Hope that helps!!

Stu :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
In my opinion, a good way to start out is with the door panels/quarter trim panels and back seats. I do not believe that headliners are re-usable or removable, as it requires glass and glue to hold it in. Whenever you go to take things out, try and concentrate on a single area. (Door, backseat, dash pad, etc). I've had many times when I would work all over the interior and end up with nothing really done, when if I had stayed in one spot something would have been accomplished. Congratualtions on finding the parts car. They're getting harder to find.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headliner

The headliners are shot in both cars. I was wondering if I should put a new one in before I put in the interior because of glue drippage (hope not) and maybe it's easier with everything out of the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd definitely do the headliner first! You'll find it's easier to move around inside, to smooth wrinkles and such, without the seats and console.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

T

·
0 Posts
I beg to differ, I have a custom headliner in mine. They're just a little more time consumming to do.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i agree do the headliner first then do the carpet and seats its allot easier to put it in without seats and with no interior parts in if you do spill glue it gets on the metal only not your interior parts. I dont care how carefull i am eating speghetti i always spill some on my stomach i use the same aproach with anything wet and sticky on the cars as well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend that might help me with the headliner. He says the best way to put in the headliner is to take the front windshield and back window out. Sounds like a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Yup, he's right and it is. My 67 needs a headliner and I an putting it off as long as possible. I guess I will have to do it someday though...Good luck with yours...

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I think logan did his without removing the rear window by using a credit card but the front winder doesnt really need to come out but it sure makes the job a whole lot easier at least on the 69 70 since the area is covered by a beauty strip not sure whats on the the last gens though since i dont own one yet......notice that last word.... yet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Get a convertible Cougar, like my car LOL. You won't have to worry about a headliner.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh! Wise guy, eh?

Wish it was a vert.:p:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree with seats out. I did mine with both front and back windows in and used plastic 2" putty knife to push under rubber.
Be sure to label bows as you remove them so you get them back in the same order.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay maybe its was swamper who did it with windows in.... new it was one of use regualr posters just couldnt remember who. one question how did you get the glue to stick on only one side?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts