Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...

I just bought a whole bunch of new parts for my 1967 cougar standard.
I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea how how much horse power
i will be getting? Here is a list of the new parts added to the original 289

Edelbrock performer intake
Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
Edelbrock performer cam
MSD ignition
new 140 amp alt
MSD starter
New MSD Wires
MSD coil pack
Hydrolic lifters from Edelbrock
Edelbrock thermo
Edelbrock high performer oil pan
Edelbrock headers they ar 2 1/2 "
Edelbrock performer rear shocks

The heads are original and the block has not been touched I will be putting a new flowmaster exhaust system when i get some more money.

if you can give me any idea, it would be much appreciated as there are no dynos here where i live.

Thanks a buch!

Dutch

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow really thats all? you would think a little more...... they came stock with 200 HP right?

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can only flow so much thru those tiny exhaust ports and valves. The higher amp alternator will cost you power if your using that many amps. I wonder if there is a Iphone dyno app?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Remember when you look at HP ratings that most stuff is showing you at the flywheel.....you need to deduct the loss through the drivetrain, which is substantial in most cases. The heads are always going to be the bottlekneck in output - the better they flow, the more peak HP your engine has the ability to make. You have to have a cam that will take advantage of it as well. Don't you just hear that sucking sound on the wallet....! (Edelbrock does make some nice heads)

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
wow really thats all? you would think a little more...... they came stock with 200 HP right?
Yep, that's all. Are you building a drag racer? If not, why does the horsepower number matter? Most guys just want to use the number for bragging rights. If you want to know for sure, put it together and get it on a dyno. Computer dyno projections will give you an idea but you'll never know for sure until your car is on a dyno. There are far too many variables to get an exact number out of a computer application.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Sorry but not much gain as you´re opting for the regular Performer series, the Performer intake will just be lighter than the oem intake, otherwise not much hp improvement, just a few ponies perhaps, if you had opted for the Performer RPM, or RPM Airgap, with other heads, a better cam than the Edelbrock cam, then you would have gained more and noticeable hp and tq

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Link in post #12 has some extra stuff at the end. take off the (.... The) and it works fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dutch,

I rebuilt my 67 - 289 with the help of a local machine shop, Comp Extreme energy cam, bigger valves, head porting, RPM Air Gap intake, etc. builder expected 300+ HP at flywheel. Chassis dyno could get no better than 205:uhoh: I "googled" drivetrain horsepower loss and learned a lot about the various possible ways to lose HP. Bottom line was the old Car Craft article demonstrating up to 40% loss with C-4 Auto & mechanical fan. My point; build what you want & enjoy it:wave:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank fo the info every one! haha I went down to Pensacola last week end went to the track ran a 12.37 on the 1/4 mile had the dyno done 347 hp someone has been in this engine way before me. that fast for a daily driver and standard replacement parts.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
:rolleyes:
Thank fo the info every one! haha I went down to Pensacola last week end went to the track ran a 12.37 on the 1/4 mile had the dyno done 347 hp someone has been in this engine way before me. that fast for a daily driver and standard replacement parts.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Same question here
and how can i make sure that almost all of the power at the flywheel will reach the wheels ??

i have a rebuild 351W
about 320Hp,

but when i drive i am realy disapointed.....there is not much power on the wheels
I have an original Fmx tranny...

any ideas ? tips ??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts