Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i have found the wheels i want for my cat but they start at 16x8 and well i need to know if they are going to fit on my cat?
Mine is a 73 XR7 with the origianl 14 inch wheels on it i want to replace them with these rims pictured below.
I need to know the back spacing and all so i do get the right ones..any help here would be appreciated, also what size tire would i go with as to not rub the fenderwells ?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Someone answer Dave, I also need to know what offset I need on the 70.
Alternatively Dave if no-one answer you check back in the archives, or go to search and type in offset, there have been tons of queries re this, there is also a link in the links section, I will see if I can find it for you, its a site that tells you what size rims will fit.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/fitting-wheels.htm

Go to the '67-68 mustangs and cougars' and they give you sizes up to 1970, but you will have to check whether the 70 and 73 will be the same.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Dave, The picture below will show my 70 with Similar wheels to the ones that you are looking to get. I can't speak specifically for the 73 but you should get close.

I put 17" x 8" on the front and 17" x 9.5" on the rears.

The factory wheels are 14" x 6" with 4" of backspacing if I remember correctly. You should easily be able to get the 16" x 8" up front with the 4" of backspacing.

The rears are another story, I have 4.5" of backspacing on my rears and I should have made it 5". It still works but 5" would have been ideal. Get under your car and see how much room you have right now from the inside of the tire to the leaf spring and the inside wheel well (not the quarterpanel). This should let you know how far back you can go on the backspacing. Now measure from the outside of the tire to the inside of the rear quarter panel. Now you have a basic idea of how much room you have to play with.

Now go to www.tirerack.com and check out the specifications of the various tires. The important measurement you want to see is the Section width of the tire on the specific rim. Right now, your rim may only be 6" wide but the section width is probably about 7-8 inches. So if you choose a 9" rim for the rear, find a tire size and check the section width and then see if that will fit into your wheel well with the backspacing that you think will work.

Yeah, I know this sound complicated but take your time and it should work.

Zoli

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Zoli
Your car looks like a full sized Muscle Machine.
I love it, and it's a 4 speed too...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow Zoli thats a sweet car! What size tires did you go with?
I spoke to the people at performance wheel and they said a 16x8 with 4.5 back spacing and 0mm offset would be good?
I am going to call them now to see about 17's

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the compliment. I have 245/40ZR17 on the fronts and 275/40ZR17 on the rears. Can you say Crispy, Beefy & Cheesy?
Z

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i got in touch with Cragar and Performance Wheels in Cali and the suggested a 16x8 Boost with 0mm offset and 4.5 inch back spacing.
I really like them so thats what i am gonna do.
They suggested a 225/60/16 for the front but had no idea on a rear tire that would fit. Cause they said to go as big as i could ...so i would have to figure that out after i get it...lol
Zoli...no prob man that car is bad ass!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay now stretch it shave it deck it and lower her into the weeds and chop 3 inches off the roof now your talking way kewl. and dont forget the flame throwers from autoloc!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it even a car anymore or a orange rocket?
LOL i kinda like it...i have issues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts