Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shopping almost done! TFS aluminum heads? Check. Comp cams roller K kit? (.513) Check.
T5 Trans and bell? Check. Hydraulic clutch assembly? (Wilwood) Check. Summit engine kit, with .030 over pistons, and .010 over and under rods and mains? Check. Full MSD Ignition? Check. 670 CFM Holley? Check, with 715 Le mans in reserve? Check.
Roller rocker arms? Check. Still firming up clutch and flywheel issues....
Pics to follow!!!
Oh, I forgot, triax shifter, check. And ARP oil pump drive shaft. Check.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Gasket set? I won't use cheap head gaskets - Fel-pro Perma-torque blue Printoseal only. Same for intake gaskets. With my World Windsor Seniors ported to the large gasket 1262 size it doesn't leave a lot of gasket material around the ports, so I'm using the 1262-S3 steel-reinforced Printoseal gaskets. No rubber or cork end seals - a bead of Permatex UltraBlack only -- no end seal 'squish-out' for me!

Oil pump? High volume is not necessary, and just uses more horsepower to turn. You also risk sucking the pan dry at high RPMs - BTDT, and ruined a Big Block Chevy steel crank many moons ago...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine kit came with gaskets, and I know not to run a high volume oil pump on a mostly stock SBF. I do have one question though...
I have a MSD distributor, will it work with the retro roller camshaft I got from Comp Cams? I read through the instructions kind of quickly, and honestly not impressed with the new 'format'...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - you can change the gear out if need be....don't go with bronze for a street driven car, they wear to fast.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Yeah - you can change the gear out if need be....don't go with bronze for a street driven car, they wear to fast.
:headslap: NOW he tells me.

Actually in my younger more naive days, I did just that and was dead on the side of the road at 2300 miles. Won't make THAT mistake again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Call Comp to be sure.I know some rollers are made from billet so the gear is harder but now Comp is making a special "composite gear". Too much money to not be 100% positive.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Add a new, never used 157 tooth stainless steel flywheel, local purchase for 125.00....Check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts