Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's not a Cat, but since I own one, decided to see if anyone was interested. I'm selling my '02 Blazer ZR2, so I can buy a decent Buick Roadmaster for my wife to drive. I have a set of studded snow tires I can throw on it, when it get's bad. I actually 'plowed' snow with the front bumper with mine, so I know it can go through snow! I need something that gets better mpg's. Plus, I really don't have a 'road car', to take on trips. I used to own a '95 4-door, and it was a NICE car! But, like a moron, sold it to buy my 'mid-life crisis' car, an '05 Mustang. When I got tired of no room, and no trunk, I sold it, and got my '87 Cutlass. I know I can use my Cutlass on trips, but I can't get over 20 mpg's with it, even though I had the carb rebuilt, and reset the timing, and bought all the carb tools to tune it! Most reviews of these big boats have said that they've gotten as much as 25-27 mpg hwy. I know my father had an '89 Grand Marquis, and he got 27 mpg's once. Which, incidentally, my '05 Mustang V-6 only got 29 mpg hwy! So, I can have a big boat, with tons of room, and get almost the same mileage! Driving my Roadmaster was like driving my living room couch! Comfortable as hell! It had, by far, the BEST sounding 'stock' stereo system I've ever heard! Can you tell I still miss it?

Anyway, here's the Craigslist link: http://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/2087191017.html

The pictures are from the dealer where we bought it, but it really doesn't look much different now, with the exception of newer Cooper Discoverer ATR tires. It's snowing here now, but if there's a nice day, I'll take some current photos of it.

Like I said, I know it's not a cat, but I saw that someone else posted a Mercury convertible on here, so I thought I'd see if anyone needed a good winter vehicle, that can go through globs of snow. I'm only selling it, because my wife is looking for a better job, and most of the better paying one's are closer to Chicago, which means driving further. The Blazer only gets like 17 (got 20 once with it, on the hwy, with a tail wind!). Plus, we normally use that for our Saturday shopping routine, and being a 2 door, space is at a minimum.

So, if someone needs a good winter driver, let me know! The price is negotiable.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks pretty good, John.

Good luck with the sale

Jean
Jean,

Don't you need something to get you around in "the great white north"? LOL

No bites on it, I haven't renewed it on ebay. I talked to a dealer, and even though I'm under book, he thinks it's too much. I guess the economy is REALLY in the toilet! It's funny, as the vehicles I'm looking at to buy (either a Buick Roadmaster, or Mercury Grand Marquis), seem to be all over the place, but pretty close to book price. Some, are asking WAY over book! But yet, I'm too high on my 4X4 Blazer? Sounds like the typical dealer 'shell game' to me!

John

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's a really nice Blazer. A little far away and a bit more than I can spend. Price does not seem that far out of line. Plus the ZR2 package is nice. Low mileage and looks in very nice condition. I had a few of stock 96-99 4x4 Blazers and they are nice trucks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments. When I was underneath it a while ago, I was surprised to see the floorpans having yellow paint still on there! There seems to be NO RUST at all on this! It's a lot cleaner than I thought it was! Maybe I should keep it, and see if I can put in an LT-1, or something that might give me better mpg's! That is the ONLY reason why I'm selling it, so I can pick up either a Buick Roadmaster/Chevy Caprice, or a Mercury Grand Marquis. My father had an '89 Grand Marquis, and he got 27 mpg's on the highway once! He used to consistently get 25! Around town, was a different story! He lives in Mesa, AZ, and only got around 12-14, but he might as well live in Chicago, or New York, with all the stoplights there! This Blazer gets a consistent 15.5 mpg. When we picked up our Cougar, we took it on the highway. With a big tailwind, we got 20, on the way back, against the wind, we got 16. The thing just HATES wind! It sits too high, and has WAY to much buffeting underneath! But, the auto-4 wheel drive does inspire confidence, especially when it seems it's snowing every other day here! And, since it's the wife's driver, and the only way she knows how to get out of a slide, is to 'close her eyes', maybe I should keep it!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts