Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from Minnesota picking up a 68 XR7G......it needs a total restoration but is the ultimate car I wanted to get. Maybe by the turn of the decade it'll be done. I'll try and post a photo after I unload it. It's a rust free Arizona car that was destined to be a Hertz Rent-a-racer but never got there......meaning it has the 8050 DSO........can't wait to get started on it!
The man I bought if from is 3/4 done with total restoration of probably the only existing 68 XR7 that is black with saddle interior and came with 428 and 4 speed. Words cannot describe the attention to detail. The black paint job is so slick that when putting ALL NOS trim on it the paint made the trim look bad!!!!! So the guy had all his NOS trim replated even better. When it is completed I think it would be hard pressed to find a nicer 68 cougar anywhere. I hope when he does finish it that all of you get to see it at a show somewhere sometime..........Keith

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow! How'd I miss that one???

I just returned from Ft. Worth (I live in Minnesota) with MY nicest Cougar in the country :) a 68 XR7 390. Saxony paint with a black vinyl top. Mostly complete it needs suspension and interior work.

I'll get some pictures of it up as well.

One more thing...I am very jealous!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might have misunderstood.....

Thanks for all the congrats on my XR7G......I'm big time excited to have it and it is the ultimate cougar for me, but the title of my post that you guys have replied to is that I just saw arguably the nicest cougar in the country and in that I am speaking of the 68 XR7 that is almost completed by the guy I bought my XR7G from. His is the 428......mine is a 390 car. The guy had my XR7G for twenty years and had decided that he doesn't have another restoration in him so that is why he sold it. I met him in Columbus at the spring swap.....he had a booth there. If you saw a booth that had some XR7G emblems and FE Cougar valve covers then that is the one. He had a stack of pictures of car on table. I have alot of work ahead of me on it and I will surely not only post updates on how it's going but there will undoubtedly be lots of questions for you guys to help with........Keith

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Congradulation's Keith, as soon as I saw xr7-G it caught my attention. I have one also,well I should say two of them. One being a Hertz car the other being a clean California car. The Hertz car being really rough, Myself Id say beyond repair or an act of God to bring it around. I started pulling some of the part's off. If there's anything I can look at for you to answer any question's I'll be happy to do so. I haven't got into the car to deep yet and I'm just a backyard mechanic so you might have to point me in the right direction, but happy to do what I can.
Jon

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ok, I misunderstood - but I am still jealous! An XR7G 390 is a pretty nice cat too...

Did the guy you bought it from live in the Mpls area? I'd like to get in touch with him since he is a long time Cougar owner and I am a long time Cougar admirer...

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hey...wait a sec.. that xr7 390 car... I think I know that car. That's was the fella in North Fort Worth... Beach and Basswood area... I think I was supposed to go look at that car for the club a little while ago...But then someone bought it...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sounds like a sweet car. im sure some of us will see it on the show circuit someday. by the way, i was talking to my instructor at school and he said that he once owned a 67 Cougar. he also claimed that it was the first XR7 in California too. if its true it sounds pretty cool. too bad he got rid of it who knows how long ago. bought the car new too. still, at least im not the only Cougar owner ( past or present ) at school. another teacher has a 68 390 XR7 and another student has a 69 Convt that he said hes got to get running and in it comes for the body and paint. sweet

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's exactly right Logan!!!

I contacted the DFW Cougar Club and asked if someone from the club could check the car out before I committed to flying down there from MN. I did go down the weekend of 4/6 and ended up buying it and DRIVING it back to MN.

Not only is it clean, but for the most part it ran great!!!

I will try to post some pics of it by the weekend. Depends on our weather up here...

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Well, I'm glad it worked out.

For some reason the webmaster dude kept asking all the wrong people to go look at it for you. Had he of asked me.... I would've run out and looked at it straight away...

·
Registered
648 Posts
He did get someone over there..they said it looked great. And they were right :)

So now here I am trying to fix electrical problems - but hey...it looks good!!!

Ken

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ken.....I got the XR7G in Coon Rapids,MI

The guy lives in Coon Rapids........just northwest of Minneapolis. It snowed all day sunday while loading it!!! Before I left, he took me for a five minute drive to a friends house who has an XR7G that he just finished restoring.....it's the really light blue with dark blue interior and it is pretty darn nice,too.
Next time I talk to him I'll ask if it's okay to give you his number and if so I'll email it to you.....he mentioned several friends that had cougars in his area so there must be plenty.
All I know is that when he finishes his car.........words couldn't do justice for how nice it is! I think every part on it is NOS and rechromed,etc. Anyways.......if you can hook up with him you will be the better for it. He's been dealing with cougars for twenty five years and most importantly isn't in it for the money....he's in it for the car! Good luck with your new ride........Keith

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jon.....thanks for offer.....I might be calling!

Jon,
Thanks for reply and offer to help........I still haven't unloaded it from my enclosed yet.....two race cars are taking up the shop space but that should change by the weekend. Once I get into it I'll probably have lots of questions. Maybe you could email me your number sometime.......thanks again..........Keith
[email protected]

·
Registered
648 Posts
That would be great Keith! Coon Rapids is less than 5 minutes from me - I live in Brooklyn Park :)

I would love to see his car sometime and if he's a real car guy he'll have no problems talkin to me I'm sure!

My email address is [email protected]

I'll look forward to hearing something back...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey, I live in the Twin Cities too. I only know of 2 other Cougar owners around. We should compare notes.Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts