Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Perhaps not as interesting as Mike's patch welding, but still, I LOVE Advance Auto!

First it was $19.09 reman calipers and brake hoses on Memorial Day weekend that I got overnight (how could you not love this place?).

But then, I saw something in a mailbox flier I think it was for $30 off a $150 order (that's 20% boys and girls) and free shipping? Well, that's all it took to put me into orbit on the Cobra brake upgrade I have been slowly starting to collect parts for!

So two days later I took delivery of a set of 4 aftermarket (Wearever which I believe is a Wagner brand) 94 - 04 Cobra rotors for just a tad over $150 to my door!

I had gone hog wild and placed two additional $150+ orders for front and rear Cobra calipers and such but subsequently found that buying new Ford Racing pieces from the right places (shop it!) was considerably cheaper and pads were included (big savings there). I managed to cancel one order about 12 hours later, the other one was too far along to cancel, but I was told I could return to the store once it arrived (painless, did this yesterday).

Inside one of the boxes that arrived was a link for another 20% off a $50 order and the wheels started turning. New drum spindle wheel bearings, seals (American made - they sell both Chinese and American - I went with American), grease caps, a couple metric banjo bolts, a couple Pure One oil filters, an extra Purolator air filter for my Ram-Air setup (have a $5 rebate, limit two mail-in coupon), drum wheel studs, and the list goes on! Two $50 orders, both 20% off, one was over $75 (free shipping minimum) and it all will all show up in two days! Am at about 98% complete on parts acquisition for my ECI-Bob Cobra brake kit. Yes, I'm a shopper.

Did I mention I love Advance Auto?

E-Bob

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Bob - your frugality is inspiring! Free shipping - that's just crazy talk!! ;>)

I have one around the corner from me....they know the "Cougar guy" when I come in. Evey now and then they run a half off deal on various oils as well (close to it) and I stock up on the VR-1 when they do.

Looks like I need to watch for more coupons but I don' t get the gossip rag (newspaper) anymore! I should sign up on the web site to be sure my spam folder gets even fuller!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Sign up for a commercial account. You want to be a Platinum customer if they'll let you. You'll save on every quart of oil you buy.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you're good at finding your own part numbers and know what you need, Advance is a good place to shop.
If you're a car guy who needs some help and guidance, eh... maybe not so much Advance.

The coupon deals aren't bad, are they?

·
Registered
628 Posts
It only took 3 bad alternators but my local Advance Auto finally came around and paid the extra $132 dollars and bought my 4th alternator from the Nissan dealer. But even then I had to bring them proof from the Nissan dealer tech that their alternators were not putting out enough power before they did. It may have helped that I was in their face and probably spitting some in between my words when I delivered the tech's info to them. Advance is ok with me but I have yet to find a parts store that delivers well for all my cars whether its the Cougar or my Maxima.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree with maxgig. I recently replaced the alternator on my truck. It came from Advance, and the power output difference is noticeable. With the AC running and the blower on high, I can hear the blower slow down when I brake and idle. The original from Ford didn't do that at all. So far I'm not getting to a voltage drop that undercharges...but it's annoying.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Well, to be fair, the red stores (advance and autozone) have the highest failure rate of electronics in the aftermarket parts biz.
I don't buy electronics from them at all.
I stick with certain brands too. Wix filters (NAPA Gold, Carquest blue), Wagner brake pads, Gates belts, etc. I go where that stuff is. For random parts, I use advance.

When the starter went out on my Corolla last year, I bought a reman from a place in town that did nothing but starters and alternators.

I did buy a spare drive belt for the 'rolla at an advance though. Dayco. Not a bad 2nd to Gates. I was on my way out of town.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lifetime warranty starter I bought from them has been great so far. I got the manual trans nosed one I needed (much rarer than AT nosed) too. Gave them the worst AT core I could lay my hands on (and giggled like a schoolgirl all the way home).

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm trying to think of what Advance was before the name change... Anyway, I bought a 'Lifetime' alternator for my wife's '77 Marquis. Just a month later it went bad. In the meantime, there was the name change. Same store, same people behind the counter. My 'lifetime' warranty was with the old outfit, not Advance, so they wouldn't honor it. I went somewhere else.

BTW, AutoZone is owned by AutoNation. The mega car dealer conglomerate.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to think of what Advance was before the name change... Anyway, I bought a 'Lifetime' alternator for my wife's '77 Marquis. Just a month later it went bad. In the meantime, there was the name change. Same store, same people behind the counter. My 'lifetime' warranty was with the old outfit, not Advance, so they wouldn't honor it. I went somewhere else.

BTW, AutoZone is owned by AutoNation. The mega car dealer conglomerate.
Baastaads!!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
If you're good at finding your own part numbers and know what you need, Advance is a good place to shop.
If you're a car guy who needs some help and guidance, eh... maybe not so much Advance.

The coupon deals aren't bad, are they?
It depends which Advance you shop at. If you shop at my Advance(I am the GM), you will get first rate Cougar knowledge(or as much as I know)! I just became the GM and know exactly what you are speaking of. Already interviewing candidates with first rate knowledge and customer service. Anyone need a job in North Florida? As for deals, online is the way to go. Lots of deals being thrown out there. I even saw a $40 off a $100 order. We'll price match too, so do your homework.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends which Advance you shop at. If you shop at my Advance(I am the GM), you will get first rate Cougar knowledge(or as much as I know)! I just became the GM and know exactly what you are speaking of. Already interviewing candidates with first rate knowledge and customer service. Anyone need a job in North Florida? As for deals, online is the way to go. Lots of deals being thrown out there. I even saw a $40 off a $100 order. We'll price match too, so do your homework.
See? ECI-Bob knows what's good (and cheap)!! :buck:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have to agree with "ECI-Bob" on this one. I find it funny that the had brake shoes, drums and the hardware in stock for the Cougar at one of the local stores. They also had the fuel pump and fuel filters and almost everything else I have needed between the 2 stores that are closest to my house. BUT, they don't have wiper blades and other small things for my Honda Odyessy. I tried to buy an alternator for the Cougar, but I had them check in the store first and everyone of them would not handle a load. So luckily I never left with one. The counter help is interesting as one store has no expeiernce with older cars and the other has 1 guy who knows his stuff, he is a chevy guy though. The online deals are very appealing, it has me looking at spending money just to get the discounts.

Paul

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am a fod parts guy- guru by trade, and i know the oldies and have my own pre 80 cataloging at home! dont get me started on this subject.

no offense catnappin, but from a professional standpoint, i only use napa, carquest and lee. only use the small stores for quick things like fluid's and universal parts, no hard parts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I hope your store turns into one of the good ones, or already is.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm a NAPA guy, myself..I can't imagine how many times I've gone to the local store in our little town of Silverton. I never have to go to any bigger city, and they are always super friendly and can overnight parts, return them again if they don't fit or work, special-order anything..

I only work on one or two cars, but they treat me like a King when I go in there. They all watched Gunner's auction in January and were reallye excited when we came back into the store. Nobody acts weird, jealous or rude (which happens in the car busines!), they are all just thrilled and full of questions and congratulations.

And yeah, they finally convinced me to get a credit account ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts