Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with a 400m with a factory option hydraulic cam mated to a 3 speed C6 automatic. The engine has 50,000 miles on it, the rest of the car has just rolled to 80,000 miles. I have only seen one other Cougar with this engine, the rest have 351w or 351c in them and the occasional 460.
Now where the questions start. How many of these cars with this option setup where made in 1976? How much is this car worth in good condition? Why aren't there any performance parts for this engine?

Now for the future plan of this car.
I want to put a 429 cobra jet in place of the 400m. A local Ford freak told me that the 429 would be almost a bolt in, except for the fact that I would need a slimmer torque converter. I would want around 500 hp and 500 lb/ft of torque. Would this swap be possible with 5,000 dollars?

I would also like to convert my C6 transmission to a 4 speed automatic with a stage 3 shift kit. Also i would like to get an aluminum drive shaft and a full time posi 9" rear end with something like 3.92's

Please answer as many questions as you can. Thank you for your time and help, I'm sure I will be coming back with more questions periodicly so bare with me. lol

I think this will be a good project and a lot of fun to do and even more fun when I'm done. I'm sure the cops wont appriesiate a 17 year old have such a powerfull car. I'm 16 1/2 now and hope to have it done by the end of this coming summer, I turn 17 on may 24th.

Thanks you for all your help
Joel

·
11,000 Posts
Joel,

The 460 or 429 will bolt right in with a 429 / 460 specific torque converter. Be sure when buying a 460 that you get all the brackets for power steering, alternator and air conditioning plus all the pulleys. All that stuff is specific to each engine.

Kevin Marti can tell you how many cars like yours were made. Contact him at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Actually there is no such thing as a 400m. Its a 400, the M is actually a 400 destroked to 351 ci which is called a 351m. I know that its getting picky but that is the way it really is.

Why is there no performance parts for the 400? Easy really, they were smog era motors that were very heavy for there displacment and just about as big as a 460 outside and most people would just as soon go with a 429 or 460. Actually there are some performance parts available for the 351m-400 as they share many parts with the 351 Cleavland eng, heads cams etc.

The 400 can be made to run but actually why bother when you can have a 429-460 cheaper most the time.

I think $5000 should set you up where you want to be if your able to do most of it yourself, but thats forgetting about the overdrive trans. I was thinking of doing a AOD for my 460 and after I found out what was involved to make it live behind the 460 I decided its not worth the trouble. Keep your c-6 and stop and think if you really need gears as low as your talking.

And by the way why an aluminum drive shaft???? mm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was told that it was a 400m because it was the ford block with cleveland heads, and the factory mild cam. I deffinatly want a 429 or can settle with a 460. I can live with the 3 speed C6 but i dont realy like how the rpms seem so high at 55 (2,500rpm) Oh and i want the aluminum drive shaft because its much lighter wich makes it easier to turn, wich in turn can boost power slightly. thanks

thanks
joel

·
Registered
614 Posts
You might want to think about the aluminum driveshaft...I know they make one for the Mustangs, and you can get one made for just about anything, but weight is a REAL big factor in this. 500/500 is a lot of power, but you're moving a vehicle that's about 3 tons, maybe a little more. This ain't exactly a Fox-body, ya know?

Personally, I don't think an AOD would live very long in a vehicle with that much power, and that much weight, without investing a lot of money. It can be done, but I've seen performance packages for AOD's in the $1500-2000 range. It's all up to you though, it's your car.

The hard part is finding the CJ to stuff in there. Go with the 460. The way you're going, a few more cubic inches never hurts. The C6 will bolt right up (maybe a different TC, not sure about that one). Don't go over .518 duration or so on the cam so you won't have to worry about the power brakes, she'll get you where you wanna go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. No I'm not planning on just racing this car. I'm building it basicly for a fun car to drive. I know its not a light car by any means. i think its about 4,500lbs or so, hopefully i can lightin that up a little bit. but there really is no point in it as the weight would be right back in beacuse of the system thats going in to it. Now i just have to find a nice 460 thats intact, and go to work. but before any engine work is done i'm going to do the suspension, and body mounts. I found addco front and rear sway bars for it wich will be going on, i want slightly stiffer springs with a 3/4 inch drop in back and a 1 1/2 in front. I also want bilstien adjustable shocks, and all new rubber pieces on the front end and back end. I also need new biscuts that go inbetween the body and frame of the car because they are starting to dry rot.

Well about the engine, what modifications can i do to a 460 to reach my 500+hp 500 + lb/ft goal??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts