Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20 years ago, I picked up a '67 Thunderbird Philco AM Radio model that I assume is a dealer promo. Its in 1:24 scale or so. I am currently offering it for sale, but I would love to find a Cougar model from the same era... any body know of such a beast?

T-b.jpg

btw, the radio still WORKS!!!! :eek2:

For those who are interested, you can see more detailed pics & description here:
67 T-bird Promo Model PHILCO AM Radio

·
Registered
391 Posts
Unfortunately, a Cougar radio by Philco was not made. The only Cougar promo made was not a detailed 1/25 scale car as you would think; it was more of a 1/20 scale (11" or so) toy made of soft plastic by the Gay Toy Co. and not very detailed. They were offered to the public and to dealers to give away. If you sent away for one, they came in a special mailer box with a little pamphlet. They were issued in '67 and '68; I have three that are light blue/aqua, red, and avocado green. The Gay Toy CO. also marketed toy store versions, as well as a hot rod version with big/blown engine.

By the way, your Thunderbird is cool! Philco also marketed Mustang and Lincoln radios for a few years in the '60s. There was also an F-Series pickup with camper shell radio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts