Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I saw a listing on craigslist for 2 cougars one 68 xr7 to restore and a 67 for parts. I emailed the owner to ask what he wanted for them. this was his response.

" $2500 the 68 is an 2 owner car and the 67 i got just for parts but as u probably know there r only 200 of the xr7 's made. " huh? 200! my 68 XR7 must be rarer than I thought.:tongue:

I hate when people think that other people are stupid, or they are ignorant. and just try to BS.

I told him I thought I'd pass.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not so say that this seller isn't trying to BS you, but occasionally I've found people have "heard" things about their cars that are incorrect and are simply passing on what they believe to be true. Again, every once in awhile you find a good car/buy/bargain if you can stand the process of asking the "right" questions and meander your way through the potential BS field. I wonder what makes him think there were only 200 made?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Before I bought my 68:
I fell for a craigslist ad on a 67 XR7, emails with photos (showing the positives, almost no negatives) and then a 4 hour drive hauling a trailer later, the car is a total heap - I don't know if an ECI would have picked it up at the 1300 asking price (and they weren't willing to negotiate much). But it did run and drive, I was unwilling to start it because you had to hold the ignition cylinder when you turned the key and that was next to some live wires...but they had someone in line that had looked at it locally that wanted to make payments, so I let it go. Last week I saw a 67 XR7 with a 289 block, they made sure to specify block, for $300 in the same region. A couple days later that ad is gone and someone on the opposite side of the state is selling a 67 XR7 with a 289 block (again specifying block) that is very rough for $600.

I figure the guy that made payments got it for a decent deal, pulled the 351w\trans and dropped a salvage yard 289 block in it to limit the expense of getting a running engine for his project...

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm not following the 351w connection- that motor wasn't available until 69, and you didn't mention that the car you looked at had a 351w swapped into it. Did it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm not following the 351w connection- that motor wasn't available until 69, and you didn't mention that the car you looked at had a 351w swapped into it. Did it?
Yeah, it had the 351w swap, I knew that when I went to look at it. It is just frustrating when someone knows how far you are going to be traveling and isn't straight with you about how not-straight the body is, and that it needs all floor boards replaced...[they said that the drivers had been replaced but might take a little work to make right - I get there and they sheetmetal screwed a piece of galvanized steel the rusting boards]...and the wiring nightmare (live wires everywhere) and the front end looked like it ran over and back off a couple curbs doing 60. Don't even get me started on the amount of rust it had...

Still a very vivid memory, but it gave me a really good feeling when I came across my 68.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts