Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year Everyone!

I started my new year by buying a 1969 Mach 1 that has been sitting for the last decade. The spiders have owned this poor car while it slept, but I want to evict them once and for all.....

So, has anyone fumigated a car before? Any insight or guidance would be appreciated

And since I knew it would be expected, here are some pics

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Put it in the garage, close the door and set off a half-dozen of those aerosol bug bombs. Repeat a month later to kill the ones that hatched from the previous generation's egg cases. I have to do that at least once a year, just for the spiders in the garage...

Make sure you also put out some mouse traps and poison pellets. My wife's '70 Mach seems to draw them since it only comes out a couple times/year. They filled her heater/defroster ducts with seeds! They also made a nest in AlphaCat's headliner, chewing it and the jute seat padding to shreds!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
ditto! I usually do my shop twice a year for the spiders. Putting the car in with all the doors open and such should do the trick. My pest control son in law does recommend brooming away all the existing webs and egg sacks to help expedite the process.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I was "hit man" back in the day when my father ran a bug business. The best long term thing for spiders use seven dust in a duster (make one with an old mustard or ketchup bottle) and lightly dust down the area they harbor in - especially webs. Then remove the webs after a few weeks to see if you still have any rebuilt. (hit 'em again) Bug bombs only get the current live ones - and tend to get an oily film on everything, but can be useful for the car where areas are hard to get at. The dust helps prevent them from getting in there. In your garage dust the areas in the upper corners, around the light fixtures, and entry ways. For mouse repellent you can use cotton balls soaked in pure mint oil and place them areas under the hood etc when you store it. Don't use mothballs 'cause they tend to corrode things. It's not 100% but it works better than the Irish soap. The only thing that is 100% is make a "yuper barrier". Which is just a wide piece of thin metal flashing material that you run around the car on the ground. They can't climb the smooth surface or jump it if it's 12" high. (Make sure your car cover doesn't hang over to where they can use it though)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Here's an unusual solution perhaps. We tend to have a few spiders here, usually looking for water and I often find them in the sink or shower. Spiders have some benefit here so I usually just collect them up and move them outside where we are both happier. A friend of mine from Arkansas brought us a sack of "Osage Oranges" or "Hedgeapples" aka (Maclura pomifera). His claim is that they repel spiders and he uses them in the garage and various other places around the house. He has no scientific proof to offer that this is true. We placed a few of them in the garage and bathroom cabinets where we always see spiders. Since placing these 6 months ago we have only observed 1 spider and he didn't look too healthy.
:confused: I dunno, maybe an old wives tale, but there has been a significant reduction from the normal abundance of spiders around here.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That looks like something out of The Munsters.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My God! Those pics are sure to haunt my dreams tonight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have also used the seven dust and its pretty good stuff. Try it and it should get rid of everything. I never used the bombs but I could imagine they'd leave a film. Good luck, looks like a great car to restore.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have had very good results using the 1/2 - 1 gallon HOME PEST CONTROL KITS from Ortho. The kit with the squeeze trigger sprayer on a long hose. You can dial the nozzle from STREAM, to MIST. I find the STREAM works best. I walk around garage perimeter, inside and outside, giving such a good stream of the liquid. It doesn't leave any STAINS, and the smell last just a few hours.

The crawling bugs pick it up on the feet, and then lick such and it does kill them. I highly recommend it. There are other brands, but Ortho is a good choice. You can use it on carpet within the home, and will not stain such. Follow the instruction, for sure.

Being in the hardware store business for nearly 40 years, I had hundreds of folks say how will such worked.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips, I've washed and removed everything I could get to without removing panels, little f**kers are already trying to make a comeback. Called the pros today to see what they can offer, then I'm headed to the HW store to see what they have on the shelf.

I might end up taking the seats, door and side panels off, then bombing it with a tarp over it....outdoors of course. I'd consider doing the whole shop but that would be like using a nuke when you only need a hammer....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL -- you'll get em. Spiders take time and dilligence to maintain a spider free zone. Mainly due to long hatch cycles. Only sweep down the fresh webs after you have applied the seven dust and waited a few weeks. Give em time to walk through it. That will let you know if you got em or not. You have to give it time to work - they don't just roll over and die the minute they get into in, it's slow. every 90 days or so, hit areas of entry and around outside light fixtures. Unfortuntely you may kill off the centipedes - they eat spiders for a living! Se la Ve I guess. Most peole hate them too! ;>)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Death to Spiders!!!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
We put the "hedgeapples" in our windows....in the basement, not sure if they really work or not, but the spiders seem to gather outside the windows in groups and try to figure out a way to overthrow the hedgeapples....more of a stare down, spider versus the hedgeapple. The place hasn't been the same since the house got dropped on that witch. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts