Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know that the original wheels included bias ply tires!! They said the wheels were new and like 100% original.

There was some damage to the fender area, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Debris was flung in all directions including in front of the car.

Both of my windows were down & I'm lucky that no projectiles entered the vehicle and killed me.

Needless to say, I'm going to go across the street and get all radial tires. The wheel is probably ok because the tire didn't actually separate from it and expose it to the road directly.

I do NOT want another bias ply tire, just radials that are close to or identical in size to what is there.

I was driving about 75 miles per hour in temps of about 90 degrees. My tire pressure is 35 front and 30 in the back just like my other car.

There are 2 overall options.

One: Remove the trim from the other side & clean up the driver's side and call it good.

Two: Get a used driver's trim piece and reinstall it, or 2 reproductions if such things exist.

I have 2 spray cans of the original color OEM Grecian gold paint. The fender lip has to be straightened out.

·
11,000 Posts
Looks like a fiberglass belted radial tire in the video. In a bias ply tire the cords wrap around the circumference of the tread. In a radial tire the plies wrap radially across the tread as shown in the video.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had radials blow out before on other vehicles. They never looked like that. Either way, it's time for 4 new tires!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts