Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make sure these are normal. I looked at a picture of another block and it seems they might be, but mine looked a little rough and wanted to ensure they suppose to be there and not created by "free radicals" if you know what I mean.

1st Picture is front view looking into where the Driveshaft would seat. Both holes in question are seen here, the larger one I know is suppose to be there, but is it larger than normal?

View attachment 24825

2nd pic is the backside view from the lifter valley. This is the same hole as the smaller hole in picture 1. Assuming this is part of oiling, but it looked like something punched through there instead of a clean cast type hole.

View attachment 24827

This last picture is a block I looked at for comparison, and it seems they should be there, but on this block they look much cleaner (disregard the comment in the picture). Were the older blocks castings not quite as clean?

good.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally found a picture confirming this is normal. It appears the first picture I posted though, the larger hole is a bit larger than my 3rd comparison picture shows. Might be a casting difference. If anyone knows I would be interested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts