Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my tailights to work, but now if I could only get the motor and see if I could get them to work in real life............

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your indicator switch, ours was definitely faulty even tho' I was convinced it was'nt, the PO took the motor out of our 72 and I had to cut all the wires and I rerouted them to get them to work as normal lights, at the moment the 2 outer bulbs work for indicators and the inner bulb works for brakes, but they only worked like that after I changed the indicator switch. Met the PO the other day and he said that he has the motor at home and we must just come fetch it [another town], then I have to try and figure out how to connect all the wires that I cut, so at the moment I will have to be content with an animation of what the lights will look like oneday, maybe.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hey 72cat, someone here must wiring diagrams for the 72 so you could get your taillights to the way merc intended. If you were a little closer I'd be happy to look at it for you, but trying to do it long distance would be difficult to say the least...Is there a conversion for the 72's that just plugs in?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure that there is an electronic unit that would work, but they go for about US$100, which translates into R900 my side, bit steep just to have pretty lights on the rear:).
I've got all the sequential lights info that has been posted, also how to fix them from 'ATSOC' and a Thunderbird site, but I really never believed we would ever get the original motor, it was just murphy's law that right after I cut the wires we find the original owner, who still has the motor.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Yeh, that guy's big trouble, run into him more than once.. Headaches every time...lol... The T-Bird's are a little different but on the same idea. As for the cost, I know what you mean, but the "pretty lights" are a cougar trademark. Just tell me you will fix them when you can...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bruce, for sure I will fix them, have to, as you say its a trademark of the cougar, I did go to an electronics guy and gave him all the paperwork and told him to design one for me, he never came back to me and to be honest I never followed it up, mainly cos' my brother-in-law seems quite keen to try and make one. But once I get the motor I am sure I will figure it out.
I have been watching the war on Iraq on TV and on the same day that Iraq kicked out the AL Jezeera reporter they showed footage of Baghdad taken from what seemed like a hidden camera, showed all the Iraq's behind their sand bag forts etc, anyway they showed alot of pics of the streets and parked on one street corner was a white car, with its hazards on, sequential, it was so cool, I spend most of the day trying to tape the same clip but they did not show it again, unlike normal when they show things over and over and over again, it looked like a chevy impala, I very much doubt whether it was a cougar, first time I had seen the lights working other than on websites.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Yeh, I've been taking a day off from that. If you think I can help with the lights, Feel free to ask me. Good luck and I hope that murphy guy stays out of your hair..lol..

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that the 'Information Minister' has got a website dedicated to him.......lol.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle - it might be easier to get a complete rear loom from Don Rush and splice it in with some auto connectors, rather than to try and rewire everything. The trunk area of a Cougar is not pretty

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I know what you mean Leon, looks like a dogs breakfast, specially since I had to add in new wires to get the brakes to work independently from the indicators, yet still get all the taillights to work when the headlights are on, would have been alot less hassle if I had replaced the indicator switch first, as it was causing most of the problems, we live and learn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts