Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
667 Posts
Pic's are out of date 2006

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Look pretty nice. Price might be on the high side, But remember Gunner raised the bar !

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is it a real eliminator? Note the hood tach! An eliminator would have a dash tach. Also did eliminators get a different gas door? Looked like a standard one to me but 69-70 are not my expertise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I have noticed over the years watching the BJ Scottsdale event is that after the event is completed some people selling their cars (especially on Ebay!) seem to have an overinflated value of ther vehicles. I call it the "BJ Syndrome". This is a pretty nice car, it most certainly is NOT a $50,000.00 car. If I see a car that is dramatically over priced in my opinion (especially on Ebay!) I have NO problem contacting the seller and politely asking "just what makes this car a "insert your price here" kind of car in your opinion? More times than not it is someone that has seen or heard of the BJ sales figures and wants to make a quick buck, of of a popular make/brand and they'll quote the BJ sales prices as if it justifies their asking price. Mopars were notoriously bad in this regard and are just now starting to settle down in price. Who would have thought 10-15 years ago a rusted out Plymouth/Dodge with a V8 running or not, would sell for several thousand dollars? Again, the BJ Syndrome strikes again! One man's opinion...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Is it a real eliminator? Note the hood tach! An eliminator would have a dash tach. Also did eliminators get a different gas door? Looked like a standard one to me but 69-70 are not my expertise.
Mitch,
He states in the ad that the hood tach was added, it might also have the dash tach as the camera case surrounds are there, but there is no picture of the guages. The interior is correct as is the gas door cover, only the 1970 Eliminators got the running cat.

As to values, it appears to be nicely restored, depending on history, who is to say to the correct person it might be worth $50K or more. Any person can ask any amount that they want for something, it is a question of whether there is a willing buyer or not to ultimately determine worth.

The signs are that it might be an Eliminator; it has the correct interior and dash pieces, would need the vin and door tag information to say for sure..

·
Registered
564 Posts
Look pretty nice. Price might be on the high side, But remember Gunner raised the bar !
The only bar raised was for W code Cougars and history shows BJ sale prices are not a median in the hobby. As Brian has stated many times the 427 was the key.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only bar raised was for W code Cougars and history shows BJ sale prices are not a median in the hobby. As Brian has stated many times the 427 was the key.
When BJ sold a stock 1969 Boss 429 Mustang for $605,000 in 2007 was that the norm for future Boss 429 Mustangs pricing? No, that's what happen when you get two millionaire bidders with more money than brains.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Full on bucket project Eliminators have been selling for as much as $20k for years now. This is a bargain compared to taking on a bucket. Can you do this level of restoration for under $40k? Whereas there is there is much truth to not pointing to a single sale to determine the value of any one car, most would be surprised at how many Cougars have traded hands privately in the last 5 years for $100k-$150k.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try and buy a basemodel cougar, have the body done and painted and detailed the way this car is, do a e-clone and see what it costs you not to mention how long you would need to wait-not to mention it would still be a clone! A clean Eliminator in this condition at this price is a bargain. Not that I could afford it but someone can. I dont understand these price conversations. I look at some rusted out hulk thats nothing more than a vin# and its all the rave worth thousands and here is a car thats a driver and could be parked at any car show and not worth the money at 50!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
When BJ sold a stock 1969 Boss 429 Mustang for $605,000 in 2007 was that the norm for future Boss 429 Mustangs pricing? No, that's what happen when you get two millionaire bidders with more money than brains.
And they made more Boss 429's than GT-E's. What's up with that?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
This is TJ's car. You've seen it Dave, @ Carlisle. TJ is a stand-up guy, long time CCNJ member, and the car is very nice. He's had it for many years, and I think had it restored in the '05-'06 timeframe if I'm not mistaken.

As others have said, to get ANY car into this kind of shape is an expensive proposition, much less a collectable E Cat...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
A beautiful numbers matching fully restored long owner history '69 Eliminator for 50K? You betcha for all the reasons previously pointed out. Love that original Ford dealer supplied hood tach too.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This is TJ's car. You've seen it Dave, @ Carlisle. TJ is a stand-up guy, long time CCNJ member, and the car is very nice. He's had it for many years, and I think had it restored in the '05-'06 timeframe if I'm not mistaken.

As others have said, to get ANY car into this kind of shape is an expensive proposition, much less a collectable E Cat...
Chris,

Thanks, I thought it was TJ's, but without the Vin, I was not sure, also his is not an early Eliminator as his scheduled build date is May 16th, which had me a little confused. Also, didn't you move away from NJ?

As has been stated, this is an extremely well restored, long time owner, 69 E Cat and would be difficult to reproduce for the asking price. IMHO, Cougar owners are our own worst enemies in putting down someones car or asking price. Any vehicle is worth what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree is a fair price at that moment in time. If we say this vehicle is overpriced, but have never seen the vehicle or have any intention of purchasing said vehicle, we are doing the owner a disservice.

Reactions: Jan Ove

·
Registered
194 Posts
I do like the concourse-style resto approach. Such cars are quite appealing to me, as are 60's-style boyracers, gassers, drag cars and customs, or whatever you will name those. Nostalgia goes a long way.

Dunno if that car is all numbers matching, but it sure looks good to the naked eye.

Is it worth 50k tho? Well, I'm not the one to decide; probably not. Time will tell.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Definitely worth 50; it's impossible to fully restore for that, unless you do ALL .. I mean ALLLL the work yourself and don't put a value on your time. Ask me how I know!! Check my website.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts